Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:00:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

"sure I can do that" now, a little help please?

Started by cthomps, May 08, 2012, 06:22:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

I stopped to have a drink in the restaurant that I had reupholstered the bar rails last year.  Now the owner wants me to put a back on a booth by Saturday.  I am not sure how to do it.  I still have the left over vinyl from the rails, and I think all the supplies, but I am kind of guessing how its done.  I am thinking cardboard strip on the top, then tack strips on the side and bottom.  I am not sure how to tap in the tack strips without damaging the damage the vinyl. I really appreciate all the help!   Carol 
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

DBR1957

cthomps

Oh, sorry.  It is just the back that is missing.  Like a rectangle of vinyl that covers all the insides of the booth.  All 4 edges will have to "show" finished.  Hope this helps.  I am not sure I can get back for a picture.

kodydog

Most booth backs I've done have nail on panels on the sides and top. Hard to tell what you have without pictures.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

Is it something like this?? 

http://www.millenniumseating.com/store/p/411-Plain-Back-Single-Upholstered-Restaurant-Booth.html

See that piece on the side?  It's upholstered separately and put on after the back is all pulled around and stapled.  Personally, I'd just attach it with christmas tree fasteners.  Don't know if restaurants do it any other way. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

cthomps

Yes it is like the picture, but it is the back that is now exposed to customers.  Like the back of couch in the middle of a room.  It has welting on three sides.  My thoughts are, from a chair I did once, that there would be a strip of 1/2" chip board used on the top, then vinyl flipped and the sides and bottom finished with tack strips and then turned in tapped in.  However, I am afraid of the vinyl being damaged by the hammering.  The booth was purchased second hand and I am guessing it was never intended to be away from a wall.  I am not sure what a "Christmas tree fastener" is.  If I don't have the correct supplies, I can still order and have it here in time.  Thank you again.  Carol

sofadoc

If you end up running metal tack strip down the sides, you could sleeve them for protection when hammering them down:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Accessories/Tacking_Strips/Plastic_Strip_Guards/index.html

Are you sure this booth doesn't have removable end panels like the one that June linked?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

cthomps

Are you sure this booth doesn't have removable end panels like the one that June linked?
[/quote]

No, I am not sure.  I have been a professional seamstress for 25 years. design, production, softgoods, alterations, etc. Just starting to do canvas, vinyl, etc.  I guess I will place an order this morning.  I will try and get out there tonight and take another look.  Now that I know what I'm looking for ::)

Darren Henry

I'm with Dennis on the guards, [ we have to buy it by the roll up here], but if time is that much of a constraint or you don't want 98 pieces of them left sitting around; you could back staple the top, staple the bottom, and then close the sides with decorative nails. Some places it looks okay/some places it's like vanilla ice cream and sausage. :-\ :-\ :-\
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

chrisberry12

you could also use hideagimp. there are several options on trimming the piece. have you thought about double welt? I bet the endcaps come off and are upholstered separately. you will have to let us all know and definitely post pictures of before and after