Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 03:26:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Outdoor cushions

Started by tipigirl77, April 17, 2012, 07:06:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tipigirl77

I need to make outdoor cushions.  client wants new inside material so she doesn't  feel the frame of furniture. Where is a good place to order wet dry foam. Or does anybody have better idea on what to put inside that will let the water drain thru. Thanks

gene

http://www.foambymail.com/

I haven't used them yet, but they have free shipping over $75.00.

I would look for the closest supplier to you. Shipping is a killer. Outdoor foam is extremly expensive. The boat folks on here may have more suppliers.

Check the Supplier button at the top of these pages.

There is a product made from polyester. It is stiff like a board and is made for outdoor use. Do a search on this site or google. It's a lot cheaper than polyurethane foam but it sits real hard. I don't like it even though it's cheaper. I would rather not do a job than use this stuff. But, if your customer likes the price...

Good luck,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

April 17, 2012, 05:48:28 pm #2 Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:49:20 pm by kodydog
Some other things to think about is the fabric and the thread on outside cushions.

Companies like Sunbrella claim their fabric is fade and mildew resistant. And to some degree it is. But let a little dirt and moisture get on it and watch the mildew grow.

Customers would love a cushion they can leave out in the weather and not have to fuss with but I haven't found one yet.

I always advise customers to store cushions in a nice dry place. Sometimes this makes them unhappy but it gets my butt off the hook when a year later they need to be reupholstered.

Like Gene said maybe the boat people know something I don't, then again maybe that's what boat covers are for.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Reticulated foam is king of the patio when it comes to outdoor furniture.  It's basically open cell foam and if you pour a cup of water on it it will run right through and out the bottom.  Great stuff, but expensive.  I've used 2, 3, 4" over the years.  It tends to be a bit on the firm side, but overall very comfortable. 

I echo Kody's thoughts on mold and mildew.  It happens whenever and wherever moisture and shade are available.  It's always best to store cushions, but it isn't always practical, I know.  Make sure you use solution dyed acrylics or the mesh fabrics (Phifer) and 100% polyester thread (69 or 92) and the foam welt insert for cording.  Be aware that even the solution dyed acrylics are not always fade resistant... watch out for yellows and reds, they fade noticeably in a couple of years.

I buy my foam from a distributor that is reasonably local (40 miles +/-).  I generally pick it up myself combining a "field trip" with some "business" and save a ton on shipping.  Hope this helps. 

tipigirl77

Thanks. Doing the job for a Designer, so she and client have picked out fabric. They are aware that even sunbrella will mildew. I am using sunguard 69 thread.  But the upholstery supplies warehouses here only carry I guess closed cell foam, urethane poly foam for indoor use, like furniture. Been trying to find outdoor foam. Every time I recover outdoor cushions I use the existing foam. This client has throw away some, others she says when you sit on it you can fill the frame. The cushions have like a poly Dacron in layers to make the 4" depth and not foam I thought foam would be firmer and more of a cushion.