Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 01:15:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I need a source for foam...

Started by Pegasus2007, March 22, 2012, 04:33:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

Hello everyone!  Things are going well up here in Maine and believe it or not, we're seeing temperatures in the eighties!  It will drop back into the forties later this week though.  I am considering putting a sign out front that says I sell foam and stocking a supply of it.  The supplier I'm presently using only has 24" wide and ships it to me one sheet at a time.  I'm thinking I'd be better off buying full sheets 55 x 82 or whatever they are.  I have no idea where to get these and who is the best company to go to for these.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again!

ahkahn

We only stock 24" foam, but we have an industrial vacuum-packager, so we can ship many sheets in one package - typically 24-48" will compress down to a UPS decent size. 

We also can do pallets, if you're looking for a lot of foam, and can ship throughout the US for typically under $100/pallet.  If you're looking for even larger quantities,  we periodically do trailer portions of foam, as well. 

Keep in mind that foam is sold and shipped by volume, so unless you're selling/using 55x82 sizes, you'll have no benefit to stocking those, even if you do cut them down.

-Andrew

DBR1957

Foam-To-Size near Richmond, VA (800) 548-5508 cuts from buns 90"x72". You can buy the thickness you
need x Width (24", 36", 48", 54", 72") x 90" long. The also vacuum pack. Although, shipping to Maine might
make it cost prohibitive.

Still it's worth a call to find out.

http://www.foamtosize.com/

sofadoc

Since most foam suppliers charge by the board foot, I'm not sure if you'll actually save any money by buying in 55" widths. Do you NEED foam wider than 24"?

Replacing foam cores for customers is nice way to increase your income. I think you should put a sign out.
I get mine from a local delivery truck (Texas), so I'm not sure who would be best for you.
Maybe Bobbin will have some input on buying foam in the great state of Maine.

Miami Mike had a good special here a couple weeks ago. And I'm sure Andrew (DLT) is competitive.

US Foam Corp. of Indiana sent me some nice samples recently. Their prices are real close to what I'm paying. They have free delivery with a $100 order.
Here's their website, but you'll have to call them because the website says nothing about foam:
http://www.us-foam.com/
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

http://www.foambymail.com/

24", 36", 72"

They have free shipping on orders over $75. I haven't used them yet but I emailed to confirm their free shipping. I have them on my list for the next big foam order I need to make.

gene

PS: I got this like off this forum. Thank you whoever posted the post.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

24" wide will only do about half of marine work - some seats in smaller boats.  The larger sheets yield less waste for the odd shapes I need to cut all the time.  My supplier sells 55 x 82 sheets - Dri-Fast in 52 x 118 sheets, but I don't know if they ship at all.  They probably don't need to since Ft. Lauderdale is a huge market.  Regular medium density foam is about $.65 a board foot and dri-fast is about $1.38. 

For huge jobs, I go to Miami and fill up the truck at Allied Aerofoam.  They're one level out of the factory as I recall, and sell for much less than the smaller suppliers, but I don't like the neighborhood, the drive, and don't like to stock foam, so no point in me buying from them for most of my work.  You might look them up if you're looking for a large quantity.  They may have a distributor in your region.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

One side note in regard to selling foam to customers off the street.
Most people have NO CONCEPT of what quality foam costs.
They think that they can get a mattress size piece for about $50.

All too often, people just want a piece of foam for something silly like lining a gun case or something.
I had one guy who ordered a king size mattress slab JUST to lay his car hood on while it was removed for some body work that he was doing. He nearly had a heart attack when I handed him the bill.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

ahkahn

Sofadoc,

I couldn't agree with you more.  We often times sell things like memory foam and high end foam and most of time when people get the quote they're shocked. 

You get what you pay for.

-Andrew

Mike

Does D&M  of have the size you need russel?

scarab29

Albany foam will probably deliver
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

gene

Have you seen those TV commercials that are selling tongue and grove pieces of wood or plastic that you put together and put under your old, worn out sofa or chair cushions? It makes the cushion feel like it's brand new.

I think this commercial is a good indicator of the general publics' general awareness of furniture.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

DBR1957

Quote from: sofadoc on March 22, 2012, 08:11:16 am
One side note in regard to selling foam to customers off the street.
Most people have NO CONCEPT of what quality foam costs.
They think that they can get a mattress size piece for about $50.

All too often, people just want a piece of foam for something silly like lining a gun case or something.
I had one guy who ordered a king size mattress slab JUST to lay his car hood on while it was removed for some body work that he was doing. He nearly had a heart attack when I handed him the bill.

When I have had customers question foam prices I just tell them to go by
the local Joann's fabric store and see what they charge. No argument after that.

Pegasus2007

All of this is great info!  You guys are great!  I'm going to figure out my commitment level (How much I dare to buy) and make some calls!  My feeling is that I'll sell more foam (and cushions) if I get that sign out front that says I sell it.  The question is, how much more????

scarab29

order a sample kit of the different densitys and throw up the sign , its only a day away , see what response you get. Keep a couple sheets of the size you use all the time . I'vegot a lady at the local flea market that does foam there and every time i'm there they're cutting something !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

byhammerandhand

March 26, 2012, 03:30:25 pm #14 Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:32:02 pm by byhammerandhand
I'm ashamed to admit that both my parents and in-laws were fond of using plywood under sofa seats or mattresses to get some more life out of them.

My parents, I attribute to the frugal trifecta:
- children of the depression
- Scot heritage
- subsistence farmers

In-laws emigrated from Germany during the post WWI hyperinflation.

U.S. FOAM CORP. OF INDIANA   is actually in Ohio, just a few miles south of me.   I drive by regularly, I'm going to have to stop in one of these days.    Sort of like when I lived near Pittsburgh, there was an "Indiana University"  (of Pennsylvania).

Quote from: gene on March 22, 2012, 04:16:28 pm
Have you seen those TV commercials that are selling tongue and grove pieces of wood or plastic that you put together and put under your old, worn out sofa or chair cushions? It makes the cushion feel like it's brand new.

I think this commercial is a good indicator of the general publics' general awareness of furniture.

gene

I've also been lurking at a site for people that build their own travel trailers.  One thing I read recently is that when memory foam gets cold (e.g., while traveling or camping in cold weather), memory foam gets really hard.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison