Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:07:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

MFA excellence awards

Started by Mike, March 15, 2012, 02:06:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

just gt the new mag has anyone sen it yet ? 2 thing surprised me
one was a laceless t top june youve done this , i never had had the chanse.  a shop south of me di a nice job and went to the extra work of making this top laceless but when they came to the outrigger basses on top i alway remove th em and canvas under then they made little socks around them with what looks like bungy cord making it tight to the otriggers  made it easier to not take thew rigger off  but why?
2nd was a awsome cockpit cover on a fountian  red with blue and stars and the lighting ring in the center  but the cover didnt cover the glass to snap  even if snap in the fiberglass was not wantd id have installsnaps  on the bottom frame?

scarab29

Funny you mention this . Just got my copy and was checking out that t top too. Done a few fountain covers and was wondering about that cover too. Maybe they were just copying the old cover. last one I did was a repo and there was no old cover so i was on my own there. It was like the red one below the stars and stripes .
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

i doint see many at all big go fast down here i did do a 36 fountian but a full to the waterline cover and i did a big sonic cockpit cover ,  it ewas easry it was so longhalf or more stuck out in  front of the boat lift off the bunks and i had to kneel out on the bow to pattern over the windscreen im kinda a big guy and didnt like the ballance. i didnt trust the motor wieght

JuneC

Yeah, the laceless top I did was a Tollycraft trawler ... and it was HUGE.  But like you guys, I don't understand the "sock".  I always reinforce t-top canvas under outriggers, radars, antennas, etc with vinyl (usually ShelterRite), and then cut out the holes and singe the edges with a Bic lighter.   It's easy to put a bead of clear silicone under the flange of the device to create a watertight seal.  That sock will last probably half the life of the top itself. 

Really nice cockpit cover.  I've suggested, but never gotten a taker, for a windshield snapped cover like that one, with a skirt that covers the windshield glass, weighted on the bottom edges with chain (like a window drape) or lead shot.  No reason why you have to dislocate a shoulder trying to reach snaps on the deck.  Just snap to the top and the weight would keep the w/s cover down. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

March 16, 2012, 05:07:57 am #4 Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:33:59 am by Mike
When I started all covers were like that June they were the squared windows then they wanted to go over so I ended up with darts at the angles and reinforcing the top.  Then it got worse and the windshield for curved making it harder where I have a seam around the top with a seperate piece on the glass

Miami Mike

Just to let you all know, the MFA National Convention will be in Cape Coral Jan 2013. So mark it down. I was in New orleans this past Jan for the National. I think we had over 100 entries over all. it's hard to pick out winners, i feel all are winners. Some the work I saw blew my mind. How you all do this work. I sell the goods and you all create some of the best looking work. I hope to see you all soon and at the 2013 show in Cape Coral FL.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Mike

March 19, 2012, 05:38:30 am #6 Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:32:09 pm by Mike
Thanks for the good news mike about a 30 minute drive I'll go for sure unless so
Thing big comes up   I'll probly get a rush job deadline at  the last minute and have to work. I find I can't plan Anything

Mojo

I think we need to talk June into coming as well and the four of us hooking up for lunch. We can then stick MiamiMike with the tab. )

Chris

JuneC

I might actually drive across the state for a lunch with you guys - as long as MiamiMike is picking up the tab ;D

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I'd be up for lunch. I'll have to scout out a good place for Miami mike!
Let's take a poll seafood.   Steak.  Or burgers ?

Mojo

I am game for anything that is food. Since Miami Mike is buying, try and find a nice place to eat with a pricey menu. :)

Chris

Miami Mike

It's a deal. You show up and I'll buy.  :P
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Grebo

Hang on, when's the next flight  ;D

Suzi

rustyeod

Hey Mike can I hitch a ride with ya?   :D

Miami Mike

Rusty, bring the boat around and yes. Did you make the CMCFA show?

Grebo. Come on over,