Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 04:21:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

French language primer

Started by gene, March 14, 2012, 03:16:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Somewhere in these posts were posts where bobbin mentioned she speaks and reads French. I thought she might get a kick out of this video. I would have put this on that old thread but I can't find it.

For those of you who may not know, French is the language spoken in France. Yes, there are a few folks left who do not speak English. I wonder if French folks wear boots, and ever... Well. Never mind. On to the link - - - - - - -

gene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rriaeKyRVis
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

It was over 30 years between my last French class and my first visit to France.   So I was the somewhat rusty translator for a group on non-Frenchophones.    One afternoon we were walking down the street trying to find some place for dinner.  In particular, I was having a hard time remembering the meat name for lamb vs. goat.  In exasperation, on of the group said, "Hey, let's go for hamburgers."  I looked over and saw a billboard "Hamburger du Cheval"   (roughly translated, "horse meat hamburger." )    When I explained that, the group all declined.

But one other night we did stumble into a small cafe where the wife was the hostess, the husband was the chef, and the food was the best I have ever ever had.   They say the English eat to live and the French live to eat.  I believe it.

Here's one you can use sometime, Gene:
"Il pleut comme un vache qui pisse."
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on March 14, 2012, 04:14:16 pm
"Il pleut comme un vache qui pisse."

J'espere que la pisse n'est pas dans mes bottes! :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I speak very little French but I think were talking about a cow that wears boots???

Why are my socks always yellow?

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

And I thought Puss in Boots was Spanish?   As in, "I am Juan Donkey Hotée"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scarab29

Quote from: gene on March 14, 2012, 03:16:52 pm
Somewhere in these posts were posts where bobbin mentioned she speaks and reads French. I thought she might get a kick out of this video. I would have put this on that old thread but I can't find it.

For those of you who may not know, French is the language spoken in France. Yes, there are a few folks left who do not speak English. I wonder if French folks wear boots, and ever... Well. Never mind. On to the link - - - - - - -

and belgium , luxembourg , switzerland , canada . Had some friends kids here from france last summer to take english lessons !! My wife ( from belgium ) speaks french , awesome for a translator !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

bobbin

France was the first time I'd left the USA.  It was the first time I'd ever been anyplace where I couldn't "eavesdrop" or easily understand a PSA on an intercom.  I was in my 30s and freaked right out (lol).  I spent a day and half in abject terror but told myself that I had 3 wks. ahead of me that would totally suck if I didn't "get a grip" and fast!  I resolved that the next day I would interact with society.  I had "une Carte Orange" (transit pass) and I rode the bus a lot.  That morning, I was lucky enough to sit next to a woman who had a cat in case and I just had to ask about the cat (I love cats).  Haltingly, I asked her about the cat and she lit up and told me all about her.  We laughed and I tried to tell  her about my cats... "Vous etes anglaise?" (you are english?).  "Non, je suis Americaine." (no, I am American).  Ce n'est pas possible! vous etes trop polie d'etre Americaine! (it's not possible! you're too polite to be an American!).  It took me a second or two to translate that but then I cracked up.  She met my gaze with a lovely, warm smile and patted my knee.  I'll bet she never knew how much her willingness to speak with me did for my confidence.  And I suspect my willingness to laugh at the "ugly American" stereotype won me some points, too. 

I don't care what anyone says, my experience in France left me in no doubt that the French are warm, funny, generous, and absolutely delightful.  I can't wait to go back! and I can't wait to explore more of the world. 

Mojo

Anytime I have been overseas I found my travels in Europe to be interesting and enjoyable. But then I am the type who loves experiencing different cultures. I have to agree with Bobbin, I was treated very well by the French but then my time was spent in Northern France in the countryside. The people were very hospitable and friendly not to mention helpful.

I found the same thing in Luxembourg, Belgium and Holland. The people were fantastic. Thankfully my wife is a Dutch Aussie and speaks very fluent Dutch and also reads and writes it extremely well ( I think she speaks better Dutch then English ). Her command of the Dutch language also helped when we were in Germany as the two languages are close to one another. We rented a car and I let her do all the driving since she could read the road signs. :)

The one person in all my travels that I had a helluva time understanding was when I was in a shop in Edinburgh, Scotland. The guy had such a thick Scottish accent I could not understand a single word he said. :) Then of course you have the Kiwi's and Aussies who have a language all their own. I am still learning some of the Aussie terms and my wife and I have been married for years. :)

I love traveling and I enjoy experiencing other cultures. It is fun to learn of their heritage and experience their traditions and food. On my bucket list is an extensive tour of Thailand, Japan and China. I love the Asian people and their culture ( not to mention their food ).

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on March 15, 2012, 05:54:24 pm
I don't care what anyone says, my experience in France left me in no doubt that the French are warm, funny, generous, and absolutely delightful.  I can't wait to go back! and I can't wait to explore more of the world.
My experience in France was very similar. Everyone was very nice, and most of them spoke English better than I do. I firmly believe that despite political and cultural differences, people are basically the same all over.
I have some friends who travelled to Paris. They came back with all the stereotypical observations of the French being snooty and downright rude. But these are the kind of people that really don't like to stray from their "comfort zone".
I actually found the Swiss to come off as a bit more "annoyed" with us Americans than the Brits, French, or Germans. But even they were nicer than the people at most U.S. tourist destinations.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban