Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 08:39:54 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

foam inserts

Started by gene, March 12, 2012, 08:51:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Hello,

How do you figure your price for making new foam cushion cover inserts?

I am doing more sofa and chair foam cushion cover inserts with a poly batting wrap.

I'm not asking what you charge, but rather, how do you figure out the price. What formula do you use, or do you just guess at it?

Do you figure the square footage of foam and multiply by your cost index? If so, does this work for all different sizes and thicknesses?

2", 3", 4", 5", 6" thick. And what about different density foams and when prices change?

When I estimate a boxed cushion cover for a bay window, for example, I take the width + length and multiply by my cost index number to get a price. I'd like to do something like this for foam inserts.

Thanks for your replies.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Since a sheet of foam is normally 24" wide, I divide the cost of a sheet by the # of inches it comes in. Then I divide that # by the thickness.

Example: If I paid $75 for a sheet 6 X 24 X 108, then a piece 1 X 1 X 24 cost me 12 cents (rounded up).
So I use 12 cents per running inch as a basis for my markup.  Based on this formula, a 24 X 24 X 4 cushion would cost me $11.52. So I base my markup on $11.52.

Using this method, the customer is paying for a full 24" width whether they need all of it, or not.
This works well for me, since I only buy foam in 6" thickness. I use a U-cut slicer if I need less than 6".   

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

Thank you sofadoc. That's very helpful.

On the U-cut slicer: How well does that work? Is it just as easy to cut 2" thickness in half as it is to cut 6" thickness in half?

I had not thought about buying only 6" foam and cutting it down. That's a great idea.

I got another call today for new sofa seat cushion inserts.

gene

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on March 12, 2012, 01:26:54 pm
On the U-cut slicer: How well does that work? Is it just as easy to cut 2" thickness in half as it is to cut 6" thickness in half?
Some foam sheets have more "drag" than others, so I usually have to spray silicone as I slice.
Slicing 2" from a 6" sheet goes pretty smoothly. But trying to shave off only 1" sometimes comes out a little rough.  I try to avoid making slices of less than 2". If you ARE slicing 1" from a 6" sheet, it's best shave the 1" from the bottom side (so you have 5" on top of the blade).

Peppy

We charge per board foot, which is cubic inches, for foam. And per yard for dacron. Usually we don't charge labour because we get good money for the foam and fluff, and labour might change their mind. If it's more than the usual 3 cushions we might charge a half hour or something. We stock foam from 1" to 5" and charge the same per board foot regardless of density.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

JuneC

Same here, Peppy. My supplier charges by the board foot so there's no advantage to me cutting a 6" slab down to 1, 2 or 3" thicknesses.  Might as well have them do it with their professional saws.  They also don't change costs for density.  Different types of foam (like EVA closed cell, dri-fast) yeah, but not for conventional foam. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on March 12, 2012, 06:31:13 pm
Same here, Peppy. My supplier charges by the board foot so there's no advantage to me cutting a 6" slab down to 1, 2 or 3" thicknesses.
I don't necessarily buy 6" sheets to save money per board foot. I buy them so that no matter what thickness I need, I have it in stock.

JMO, but any place that charges the same price no matter the density is probably just charging the highest rate for all of them.

waqas101

Surprisingly! It's like you understand my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some images to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful forum. A good read. I'll certainly be back.

gene

Hey waqas101,

Finally someone on this forum can understand what the hell old sofadoc is talking about! I can never get past that Texas twang of his. And I'm still trying to figure out why folks in the Lone Star State carry their piss around in their boots???

Thanks waqas101, for brightening up my day! They say you are what you eat. I must be fast, cheap, and easy. But at least I'm not dumb.

GENE

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on March 13, 2012, 05:42:36 am
Hey waqas101,
Finally someone on this forum can understand what the hell old sofadoc is talking about!
It does appear that I've finally found my soulmate. ;D

Quote from: waqas101 on March 13, 2012, 01:34:16 am
I think that you could do with some images to drive the message home a bit
I'll PM you some images that'll BLOW YOUR MIND!!  :o

kodydog

March 13, 2012, 08:05:34 am #10 Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:48:50 am by kodydog
Waqas, I like you. Can't wait until your return. Will you be my friend too.  :-*
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on March 13, 2012, 08:05:34 am
Waqas, I like you. Can't wait until your return. Will you be my friend too.  :-*
Geez Kody, gitcher own soulmate!

Well, gotta go. Danged boots are fillin' up with piss again. Still hadn't figgered out howta empty 'em. ???

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on March 13, 2012, 12:52:12 pm

Well, gotta go. Danged boots are fillin' up with piss again. Still hadn't figgered out howta empty 'em. ???

Depends works for me. $49.95 on e-bay. Sucks getting old.   :-[   Have you checked out that Hooters Home discount rate yet. I'm ready.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

Directions for this are usually on the heel

Quote from: sofadoc on March 13, 2012, 12:52:12 pm
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

March 18, 2012, 09:35:10 am #14 Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:37:10 am by gene
Dear Mr. Sof A Doc,

You wrote: "I'll PM you some images that'll BLOW YOUR MIND!!"

My mind is eagerly awaiting, with much anticipation, the gentle breeze that will be cast between my old ears, which, by the way, our ears continue to grow for our entire lives. We grow into our ears, and then our ears grow out of us. What?

I do hope you are not going to want me to pay the delivery guy with cash.

On a more sane note: Thank you again for how you figure out what to charge for foam. I now have a solid formula for what to charge and how much my margins are.

And I also think that if a foam supplier is charging the same price for different densities of foam they must be charging the highest price for everything.

gene