Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 02:18:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A new twist on decorators

Started by sofadoc, March 06, 2012, 02:43:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I have a regular customer that I do quite a bit of work for. In fact, so much work, that I've often wondered why she doesn't go in to the interior design business.

Well, today I was unwrapping one of her rolls of material. For the first time, she forgot to remove the invoice.
The invoice (from Kravett) was made out to an interior design company, with the woman's home address.

When she came by, I gave her the invoice. Her face turned white.  She said "So I guess you know now that I'm an interior designer". I asked her why she didn't want me knowing.
She said that in the past, other upholsterers and vendors either refused to take her on, or jacked up their prices because she was a decorator.

I know that some decorators can be a PITA, but I've always accepted/rejected doing business with them on a case by case basis.
It's funny, that we've been talking about how many of them expect a discount, or even a kickback from us.
Here's one that actually kept her identity a secret from me in order to get a better deal. Seems like she's also keeping her identity secret from the general public as well, but that's her choice, I guess.
You never know what people are thinking.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

March 06, 2012, 05:39:09 pm #1 Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:49:30 pm by kodydog
Its not that I charge designers more. Their jobs are usually more difficult. I charge for things like rope cording, fabric that's thick as a rug or thin as underwear, changing the style of a sofa to make it more "modern". And I would charge any customer more for these items. It just seems decorators do it more often.

My wife just accepted a job doing a process called Trapunto. Wikipedia explains it better than me.

Trapunto, from the Italian for "to embroider," is a method of quilting that is also called "stuffed technique." A puffy, decorative feature, trapunto utilizes at least two layers, the underside of which is slit and padded, producing a raised surface on the quilt.

I've never heard of it before. The decorator wants it on the skirts. Did we charge extra? You bet. Will we make any money? Probably not. The point is we don't charge more because their decorators. We charge more because of the type of job, just like any other customer.

On the other hand if I'm doing repeat work for a customer that was difficult then they get my PITA charge. And some decorators have plenty of that type customer.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

Quote from: kodydog on March 06, 2012, 05:39:09 pm
Trapunto, from the Italian for "to embroider," is a method of quilting that is also called "stuffed technique." A puffy, decorative feature, trapunto utilizes at least two layers, the underside of which is slit and padded, producing a raised surface on the quilt.

Not that it has anything to do with decorators, but I've never slit the backing on trapunto.  I've always worked the weave to make small holes through which cotton could be stuffed.  After stuffing, a hand-on-hand "scrub" of the backing will reset the weave.  Small scale only, of course. 

I would have thought any decorator would have wanted you to know so their work could have been given priority since they'll likely be a repeat customer.  Wierd...

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

kodydog

Thanks June, I'll pass that on to the wife. The way the decorator said to do it didn't make any since at all. I'm wondering how that will make the skirt lay. I'm sure it will be a pain.

kodydog

Quote from: JuneC on March 06, 2012, 06:44:10 pm

Not that it has anything to do with decorators, but I've never slit the backing on trapunto.  I've always worked the weave to make small holes through which cotton could be stuffed.  After stuffing, a hand-on-hand "scrub" of the backing will reset the weave.  Small scale only, of course. 

June

OK, just talked it over with the wife and here's what the decorator want's. Unbelievable. Cut a leaf pattern out of one fabric and applique it to a micro fiber material. At the same time stuff padding into it. To top it off the leaf pattern has little beads in it so has to be hand sewn. And on top of that we've worked with the micro fiber before (two chairs with dress maker skirts) and it was very difficult to get the skirts to hang right.

My wife told her it couldn't be done but the decorator insisted we try. So the ottoman sits in a corner in our shop. Where it will stay, undone, till we bring it back, undone.

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on March 06, 2012, 07:46:21 pm
So the ottoman sits in a corner in our shop. Where it will stay, undone, till we bring it back, undone.
Don't blame you there. A lot of people think you should jump at a "challenge".
The only challenge I choose to accept, is to turn a profit on each and every job. That one sounds like a money pit.

fingers

What I remember seeing is a soft cotton thread/twine pushed under a lining that was applied to the back of the fabric. Cut some extra wide skirt panels, give your friendly decorator a call, tell her to have it done then bring it back to you and we'll assess the skirt panels at that time. You may have a high end designer that knows what she's talkin' about but more than likely she spotted this technique somewhere (or read about it in a magazine yesterday) and thinks it's a snap to perform. Put the ball in her court and let her run with it.....

kodydog

Quote from: fingers on March 07, 2012, 03:50:38 am
What I remember seeing is a soft cotton thread/twine pushed under a lining that was applied to the back of the fabric. Cut some extra wide skirt panels, give your friendly decorator a call, tell her to have it done then bring it back to you and we'll assess the skirt panels at that time. You may have a high end designer that knows what she's talkin' about but more than likely she spotted this technique somewhere (or read about it in a magazine yesterday) and thinks it's a snap to perform. Put the ball in her court and let her run with it.....

When my wife told her it couldn't be done, she said in a slightly high brow way, fine I'll have my drapery lady do it. Apparently the "drapery lady" didn't want the job either.

The designer is an old and dear customer of ours and generally we like working for her but shes bound and determined to get this one done.

gene

March 07, 2012, 05:47:47 am #8 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:51:43 am by gene
I think I understand what this lady is wanting. The end result will be a micro fiber skirt that has 3 dimensional leafs on it.

The problem is that you have to sew the leaf fabric onto the micro fiber in a 3 dimensional manner. If you sew it flat and then stuff it, the padding that lifts the leaf up will pull the microfiber out of being flat.

One solution is to use your sewing machine to sew the leaf fabric onto poly batting. Yes, quilting with your sewing machine. Run the stitch around the leaf. Then, cut the leaf out near the stitch line. Then, sew (hand sew if you have to), the now 3 dimensional leaf onto the flat microfiber fabric - obviously turning the original stich line under so it won't be seen. Pinning and gluing is another possibility you might try.

I would want to do a prototype first, just one leaf, to see how much time it would take, and then give her my price.

If this is what she is looking for, I've done this technique a few times before. I have never done it for a skirt, though.

I how this helps.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

mike802

I charge my decorator extra, but not because she is a decorator.  The extra charge is because I usually only get half the information.  Little details get left out, sometimes it works out in my favor, but usually not and she doesn't know the difference between an estimate and a bid.  She asks for an estimate, but wants a bid and when I am asked to bid I have to allow myself some wiggle room. 
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

Micro-fiber skirts can be cantankerous even without some artsy fartsy add-on. Even if Kody gets the leaf pattern applied to the skirt panel by someone else, the onus is still on him to make it hang right.

I had a decoartor who used to stay up late at night trying to think up stuff like that. She was trying so hard to set herself apart from the other decorators, that she lost sight of what was practical (when I say "practical", I really mean "profitable").

Joys Shop

Here's an example of doing trapunto on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVbyUq6Nkr4&feature=related

It would be easier if the decorator would let you do it with just outline stitching to make the shape, and not with an applique of different fabric

This is a good way to do the larger scaled areas, but the vining doesn't have to be done this way. 

Some do it by threading a needle with yarn, entering at one end and exiting at another (may have to be done 2 times)---thus filling the narrow places

kodydog

That was a good video Joy and looks like fun for someone that wants to learn a new hobby.
Yes, If she would do it the correct way I might take a stab at it and Gene your suggestion is a good one. It may or may not work. I just don't want to mess with it.

I think I will stick to upholstery.

JuneC

That video shows the opening to stuff the shape in what appears to be the top fabric, not the backing.  I never did it that way - and I only have done it as a craft.  What it also doesn't show is what the fabric looks like when the piece is removed from the stretcher.  All the stuffing here and there causes the fabric to draw up in those spots leaving pulls and puckers on the unstuffed portion.  The more stuffing, the worse the problem.  I don't think a sofa skirt would every hang right after this treatment. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

I keep reading all these posts about decorators and it makes me appreciate my RV customers more and more. They are not nearly as bad as I thought. They give me the measurements and say
" call me when the work is done ". :)

Chris