Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 19, 2024, 03:46:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

chalk lines

Started by lc, February 27, 2012, 02:33:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lc

I seem to be commin up with a bunch of questions on here but there is soooo much advice I'm going to drain ll your brains and tap in to it ....heh  heh...

I have always used chalk for marking and outlining is there anything better ?
The reason being for example ,lets say .,semi detatched backs .

I dot with chalk where my buttons will go .
I am not much for using pins I find putting the markings where I want them quicker
When  it's time to re-ajust and move the button over a bit I have a heck of a time ridding the chalk line on a lot of fabrics .
I try the air hose ., I use soaps and water ...it's a real pain when it happens ..,it slows me down struggling to get it cleaned up to go out the door with no marks in it.

I hope I make sense ha ha I didn't sleep last night ...geesh ! I hate when I get slow for business ..I start to panic then next thing you know your swamped .
I was reading one of the past topics on this forum on how some panic and think they should drop their prices .
I have done so too . I see from many points of view it's not a good idea
This site is so educational with a laid back way about it ! I'll be scowering past posts hoping not to repeat questions but holy moly there is a lot to read !
Thanks to all !
Elsie     get it ?   abreviated or umm short form as LC

sofadoc

Quote from: lc on February 27, 2012, 02:33:00 pm
I'll be scowering past posts hoping not to repeat questions but holy moly there is a lot to read !
Don't be afraid to ask questions that may have been touched on before. A virus  knocked out all the old posts before mid-2010. There was a lot of great info that got wiped off the board. So it's probably for the best if a lot of these questions get re-asked.

Can't help you on this one, though. I'm a "chalk & air hose" kinda guy.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lruthb

Using dustless chalk helps. If I get in a jam for chalk and have to use store bought I use a soft brush, the ones that came with Capture cleaner works great. The mark is gone without damage to the fabric.

kodydog

Yes, every once in a while I'll get a fabric that the chalk just doesn't blow off. I've found a product that comes under many names that works. Wrinkle Rid, Fabric Dressing, Fabric Releaser, and my supplier has Spring Crest.

http://www.generalupholstery.com/drapery.html

This also helps to restore crushed nap on velvet.

This will get those stubborn chalk marks out. Its basically a mix of fabric softener and alcohol. I spray a little on a piece of dacron and scrub it on. Works every time.  Always test a sample first. And like Iruthb said use the dustless kind of chalk

Ask your supplier if they have some kind of drapery dressing. Also works great to get puckers out of cottons. You know those curved arm panels on wing chairs?  And creases out of ties. Not to be used on the face. Ask me how I know.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Chalk will never replace pins. Sorry guys and gals.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

A couple of other brands of fabric dressing:
Rowley sells one called Crease-A-Way that comes in concentrated form (1 pint makes 1 gallon).
Wal-mart sells Downey Wrinkle Release on the fabric softener aisle.

But Spring Crest is my favorite. And it often succeeds when other cleaners fail on stubborn spots too.

I've never sprayed it in my face, but when I'm hot and sweaty, I love to spray some on the back of my neck. The stuff has more uses than WD-40.

lc

February 27, 2012, 06:19:09 pm #6 Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:21:43 pm by lc
 Oh I didn't know there was a difference in chalk type .....I order the big boxes of crayola chalk ., I guess that isn't considered chalkless..where do you get chalkless ?

Kodydog  ha ha  no I'll I will definately keep it away from my face ... I have wrinkle rid but I didn't realize it would rid chalk and do all that ...I ordered it and tried it on something ..I can't remember off hand.. it was quite a while ago ., it didn't work but I will try it again on those methods ,,
Sound like I should look into that spring quest
thanks I'll spray it on my neck too ..friggen hot sweats ha ha
The face spray issue made me recall of a school teacher that did plays.,
he  came to the shop I had worked for asking for good glue for foam to make puppets . they gave him our foam glue in a bottle and a brush and off he went.

We got a call the next day needing the information on the can of glue for the hospital because a student that was gluing with a popsicle stick  glued his eyelid open.....I think our glue is a bit too powerful for a school project.

I wondered about the older postings ??..,I was on I believe 2007-8 and I kept thinking I had asked more questions but I wasn't sure if I was repeating them such as the chalk one ..I think I had asked it before with not much feedback . It doesn't show up in my postings though .

you guys are in for a lot of inquiries now I tell ya !!....heh heh
Thanks
Elsie

sofadoc

Yeah, if you're just buying regular school chalk, that's probably why the air hose isn't working too well for you. Any upholstery supply should carry the right kind. And it helps if you have a fine tip on your air blower to really blast the chalk out of the fabric.
Just be carefull with velvets.

lc

I've had my run- ins with velvets and the air hose in the early years ., not nice for sure ..did a couple of things over because of it.
I deal with a company most of the time called Triden Distributors in Pickering Ont.
I have J Ennis ., I never ordered chalk through them before I'll have to check what they carry ...I only have the two suppliers that I am familiar with..... only because thats who my former employer dealt with..does anyone know of others I may not know of when it comes to getting foam felt etc. ?
Darn foam can kick the heck out of the budget though arrrgh !! ..

Peppy

We get our chalk from J Ennis. 'Dustless' it says on the box.

Does anybody know what dustless chalk is anyway?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

lc

I never heard of it ...chalk to me is chalk  !
thanks for the info though.., I'll be making an order from them for it instead . It's funny you get stuck on one supplier., I should be broadening my range to try to get better prices on things .

kodydog

My chalk is made by Prang. The box says Hygieia Dustless Board Chalk. I like it because it doesn't break as easily as some chalks.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Can-Vas

Quote from: Peppy on February 27, 2012, 06:47:35 pm
We get our chalk from J Ennis. 'Dustless' it says on the box.

Does anybody know what dustless chalk is anyway?

It's a way that they can charge 15% more ...   ;D
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

Darren Henry

Quotedoes anyone know of others I may not know of when it comes to getting foam felt etc. ?

there is Ace Upholstery Supply down your way. I think --- Oshawa ????--- Maybe Peppy's people deal with them and can tell you more. I only ordered from them once (great experience, but further from Kenora than Wpg or Edm. )

George N Jackson carry the same "Sanigene" dustless chalk as Ennis and I've never had an issue with it. I've had subscriptions with coloured chalk , especially the crayola etc at walley world et al.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

lc

March 07, 2012, 06:51:51 pm #14 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:09:44 pm by lc
Hi Darren
I remember talking to you when I was trying to get started a few years back . good to see your still here.

I tried Ace and they are hard on shipping ..I had put an order in and the shipping was 75 dollars .ouchee !
Have you tried Triden Distributors ? They're in Pickering though.
I can't remember if your into marine or upholstering furniture? ..Jackson seems to cater a bit toward the vinyls than fabric  but when they came by they wanted me to pay for their books ...all the others I deal with send me books no charge because they make the money when I order ...
I have my credit elsewhere so why can't they take that into consideration like the other ones? Their loss as far as I'm concerned
Crayola chalk.... yes bad !!  chalkless  ?!  J Ennis I will try it for sure.
Hope your busy these days...it's been slow here but the phone is finally ringing . ha ha
You've been in business longer than I ., so be ready for some dumb questions .hee hee
Take care
Elsie