Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 10:23:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Advertise your upholstery shop on a billboard for less than $100

Started by TheHogRing, February 19, 2012, 06:24:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

I recently found out that advertising my auto upholstery shop on a park bench would cost about $500 a month. I was so shocked that I didn't even bother asking how much a traditional billboard would cost.

Then I remembered a clever trick that I saw on a trip to Las Vegas last year. Businesses hired box trucks to drive up and down the strip with giant company ads on them. Compared to the cost of placing actual billboards on the strip, they must have saved a ton.

Trim shops can employ a similar tactic for even less by placing magnetic signs on their company or personal vehicles. They cost less than $100 to make and can be ready in a day.

Check out our 6 tips on how to make car signs work for you: http://t.co/nqtz7Rj8

Joys Shop

Magentic signs need a warning

They have to be moved every once in a while
The sign forms a bond with the paint of the vehicle
Then it can't be removed, without also removing the paint

I move my signs from the front doors, to the back doors, and then back again

kodydog

Last year we had two plastic wrap type signs installed on the back windows of our van. Neat thing is you can see out but can't see in. Your right about the color choice. We chose black letters on a gold background and it didn't pop out like I thought it would. The cost was $150. Can't say how many calls it generated but a lady called last week who said she saw our van at a shopping center.

After I installed them my first thought was how many calls will I get telling me I can't drive worth a poop. Especially when I'm driving (slow) in the Ga. mountains. But haven't got a single one.

My only disappointment is the edges started peeling away after 6 months. Don't know if it was a bad install job or inferior product but will try again with another company.

I have a friend with an HVAC business. He wrapped his whole van with penguins and igloos. You can see it coming a mile away. Pretty cool.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Back in the 80's, I tried magnetic signs on my truck. Yup, it took the paint off.
And I found out later that most people that saw the sign couldn't remember the name or phone # once they got home. So they looked up the first shop they saw in the phone book (which WASN'T me) and called them. My signs were actually drumming up business for my competition.

Of course, with websites and such, times are different now.

Personally, I can't remember ever noticing advertising on another vehicle. Same with benches or shopping carts. I pay absolutely no attention to them.
When people put flyers on my windshield, I can't wad them up fast enough.
And the ads at the top or side of web pages....never even look at them.

These forms of advertising may be effective, but they sure as heck ain't workin' on me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I had permanent signs on my last van.   The thing I found out that my vehicle was then considered a commercial vehicle.  My insurance agent said with this he could not call it an "artisan's vehicle" (which I understood to transport a workman to a work site).  This also meant the license plates were about twice as much and the insurance was over twice as much.

When I got my new van, I downsized from a "cargo van" to a "mini-van."   So I licensed it as a passenger car.  When I asked my insurance agent how to avoid the commercial designation he said, "Signage."   

"Even the little signs on the windows?"
"Yes."
"So all those Mona Vie, Mary Kay, and Pampered Chef cars are technically in violation?"
"Yes."
"What I really want is when I pull into someone's driveway, they know it is for furniture repair and I'm not some pervert."
"Well, I have done some homeowner's policies where I need to take photos of the home.  I have had cops called on me a few times, so I got a magnetic sign that says, 'Cook Insurance.'   That has taken care of it on my personal car."
Now my math professor taught me "verbum sat sapienti est," so I said, "Thank you."

Now, my neighbor re-started his sign shop and made me some magnetic signs with his new vinyl cutter.   He did say to take them off once in a while, so on weekends, especially when there has been rain that week, they come off to get underneath dry and fresh air.

Now, my insurance on two cars is less than what it was on the commercial van alone.   

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison