Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:22:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help me identify these people

Started by sofadoc, February 17, 2012, 08:20:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

February 17, 2012, 08:20:45 am Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:23:32 am by sofadoc
This new "Urban Anthropology" pattern from Greenhouse has sparked a lot of debate in my shop. There are 42 different faces. All were famous people who died young.  
https://www.greenhousefabrics.com/fabrics/203252s-celebrity

I've identified JFK, John Lennon, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Elvis, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Bob Marley.  I'm not sure about the rest. Is that Princess Diana just to the right of John Lennon?
And John Belushi right below Elvis?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lamx

I think that is Princess Di.  Top row, first picture on the left looks like "Mama Cass" Elliot. Directly to her right looks like Clark Gable. Below her and one to the right in the hoodie - is that Tupac Shakur? I think John Belushi is directly below Marilyn.

Ed

sofadoc

I think you're right about Mama Cass, and Tupac. But I'm not seeing Clark Gable. And I'm surprised that I don't see anyone that looks like MLK to me.
Is that Karen Carpenter right below Mama Cass?
My customer guesses have been all over the place. One lady insisted that the one diagonnaly above James Dean is Lucielle Ball. I tried to explain to her that the prevailing theme seems to be "people who died young".

Joys Shop

February 17, 2012, 10:10:43 am #3 Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:14:34 am by Joys Shop
I see Ann Frank---just above Elvis

and

Patsy Cline       2nd row, 4th from the left

Carol Lombard
James Dean
Grace Kelly
Freddy Mercury

can't remember the name of the man next to Jim Morrison--------A civil rights activist

Is that MLK just above Ann Frank?

Hard to tell.  Is there a way to enlarge the picture?

sofadoc

Quote from: Joys Shop on February 17, 2012, 10:10:43 am
can't remember the name of the man next to Jim Morrison--------A civil rights activist
Malcom X?
I think you nailed Patsy Cline. Which one are you saying is Carol lombard?

Joys Shop

Carol Lombard
2nd from the bottom, 3rd from the right

Joys Shop

February 17, 2012, 12:21:33 pm #6 Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:22:24 pm by Joys Shop
Figured out some others

Kurt Cobain
River Phoenix
Che Guevara
Eva Peron
Heath Ledger

and
one might be Bobby Darrin----not sure about that one

sofadoc

OK starting from Mama Cass in the upper left corner (going right until she repeats) number them. 1 thru 42. Give me your answers please. ???

BTW lamx: Clark Gable lived more than 20 years after informing Scarlett that he didn't give a damn. So he really doesn't fit the criteria. ;)

Danny D.

I see Jimi Hendrix in the mix.  By the way, what's the cutoff date for dying young?  I'm thinking Elvis was about 42 when he died.  Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin were all about 27 when they died.

Danny D.

gene

February 17, 2012, 01:01:49 pm #9 Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:12:59 pm by gene
I've got this fabric that has a 6 dead people vertical repeat and a 7 dead people horizontal repeat. I'm thinking maybe using a blood red fabric for my contrast welt. What do you think?

Luciano Pavarotti 5 over and 6 down

Marilyn Monroe 4 over 5 down

James Dean 4 over and 3 down he even has a cigarette in his mouth

David Berkowitz  4 over and 6 down

Janis Joplin could be 4 over and 2 down.

When we get this all figured out, he's the next one:

Can you name the famous virus?

https://www.greenhousefabrics.com/fabrics/11310-fandango

3 over and 5 down is Botulism

2 over and 1 down is syphilis.

I think 4 over and 4 down is typhoid, but I'm not sure.

gene

PS: it's Friday and sunny!

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on February 17, 2012, 01:01:49 pm
Luciano Pavarotti 5 over and 6 down
If that indeed is Pavarotti, then that blows my theory of "Famous people who died YOUNG" out of the water.
Elvis and JFK appear to be the most senior of citizens in this pattern.

gene

2 over and 5 down: is that the image on the shroud of Torin?

There was something special about Pavarotti. Even if you don't like opera, like I don't, I still was amazed with his singing, as I am with Andre Bucheli.

2 over and 4 down could be Malcolm X

gene

gene

You may be right about MLK. Good find.

He was 39 when he was killed. I wonder what sofadoc considers 'young'?

I'm surprised Sam Kineson isn't on there.

I wonder what they had to do, and how much it cost, to be able to use all those images. That fabric only sells for $20 a yard.

5 over and 5 down looks like a girl I used to date. I think she's still alive. And I think she never became famous. I'm sure that if she did she would have called me to rub it in.

gene

sofadoc

Did everyone else's screen go extra wide after Joy posted that long link?

Gene: I turned 54 the other day. I consider anyone below that age to be young. ;)
BTW where did you see 20 bucks a yard?