Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 09:27:03 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Thoughts on this DIY trick?

Started by TheHogRing, February 10, 2012, 08:13:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

The following video shows an upholsterer using an ordinary microwave in place of a professional upholstery steamer. He says that it works just as well in removing unwanted wrinkles: http://tinyurl.com/6geum77

Thoughts? Have trimmers on a budget been doing this for a while?

Remember, if you leave a comment on our website (www.TheHogRing.com) this week, you can win a Roadwire seat heater kit.

sofadoc

During the fleeting nanteenth of a second that the camera allowed me to fixate my eyes on the finished product, I still saw a few wrinkles. I guess the microwave trick is better than no trick at all, but I'd stop short of saying that it works "as well" as a steamer.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Peppy

I would find it hard to get something like a bucket seat or pontoon furniture into the microwave. And I tend to need to work the skin longer than the 8 seconds it would stay hot. Probably better to microwave a pot of water and pour it over the skin. At least that way you could focus the heat where you need it.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

JuneC

Before I went with that method, for the DIY'er, I'd get a hair blow dryer on HOT and a few chilled bottles of water.  Heat the vinyl till just barely touchable (do try not to leave fingerprints, then roll the cold water over the surface (spritzing with ice water is better).  If using the bottle as a roller, make sure the vinyl isn't so hot as to leave an impression.  Shrink's em up pretty well.  May require several iterations. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

gene

February 11, 2012, 06:34:55 am #4 Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:39:53 am by gene
A young guy saying "...back in the day..." and he's referring to using Microwaves. LOL

Back in MY day, there were no microwaves.

I would think the steam from my iron would work better than his trick, but it is a good trick to know about.

Here's another trick: The batteries on my camera were dead and I needed to take some pics of furniture in my studio. I put a bowl of water in the microwave, got it really, really hot, and put the batteries in the hot water for a few minutes. I dried the batteries (they were hot to the touch) and put them in my camera, and voila! The batteries had enough juice to take the pics.
   BE CAREFUL boys and girls. Those batteries could explode if they get too hot. I would never put batteries in the microwave, only in hot water.

And another tip: If you just washed your little doggie and you don't want to take all that time drying her/him with towels... (Just kidding.)

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

timtheboatguy

Did he make the seat to match his hat?  :P  I paid fifty bucks for my steamer on sale but have seen them as low as twenty bucks. Perhaps I can get a microwave for my shop now :) All kidding a side, anything that works could prove useful down the road!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur