Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 09:22:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

love seat- sagging deck

Started by persson, February 07, 2012, 05:26:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

persson

Need help with this...    A  Broyhill  loveseat (1980's Orange  and needs a up to date cover) / zig zag springs.  Solid  piece of furniture that needs a fix.

The center deck edge is weak.  It can easily be pushed down.    Cushion a a  one piece foam  and this thing is Uncomfortable to sit on.

How does one firm up the decking  edge??   Torsion Springs?   If  so,  what is the application?    Thanks to All for ans.

mike802

Zig Zag springs are usually good right up until they break.  Frame could be broken, cracked, or flexing, your going to have to do some more investigating and find the problem before a proper repair suggestion can be made.  You will have to turn the love seat upside down and remove the dust cover to have a look inside, depending on the problem you may have to go deeper to find it.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

ahkahn

I'm no expert, but couldn't a clip on the zig zag springs popped off of the frame?  Could that cause this type of thing?

-Andrew

RocketmanMH1

If your love seat is sagging..... is it from so much love?   ;D

sofadoc

I never had much luck mounting torsion springs in the middle of a deck. They work great on the ends, but they cause the middle to recess.
Does your loveseat have seat edge springs, like these? (top right)
A lot of no-sag decks that have an elevated front edge roll use these. And I've seen a lot of them broken. If you're trying to repair without reovering, you'll probably have to remove enough staples to lift the front deck fabric out of the way. Then you can mount torsion, or seat edge springs.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I have fixed a bunch of these.   In almost 10 years I've only seen two broken springs and they were next to each other.

It is far more likely the spring clips cam loose or if the sagging is left to right the frame has separated.  Frame separation is quite common with engineered wood frames (plywood, OSB, particle board), but even solid wood frames have cracked on me because they tend to use "secondary wood" of lower quality with grain run-out and knots.

If the spring has disconnected from its clip, you can just rehang it.   If the clip has come loose, there are "spring repair clips" that don't require quite so much work to get attached.  They attach to the inside of the frame, not the top.   I buy them at Sunshine Foam, but here is that they look like and how they work.  http://compare.ebay.com/like/390329667062?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

If the frame is cracked, I normally get some hardwood, pull the frame back straight using clamps, then glue and screw the hardwood "sister" onto the backside of the frame.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I'm reading the problem differently from hammer. What I interpret is the elevated front edge is collapsing easily. It doesn't bounce back up when you push down on it. It seems like it would be obvious if the no-sags had just came unmounted.

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on February 07, 2012, 03:33:56 pm
I'm reading the problem differently from hammer. What I interpret is the elevated front edge is collapsing easily. It doesn't bounce back up when you push down on it. It seems like it would be obvious if the no-sags had just came unmounted.

Not necessarily. Say here are 7 springs across and one or two in the center are off the clips. The top edge will still be up but not strong. The rest of the springs will hold it in place.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Quote from: persson on February 07, 2012, 05:26:13 am
Need help with this...    A  Broyhill  loveseat (1980's Orange  and needs a up to date cover) / zig zag springs.  Solid  piece of furniture that needs a fix.

The center deck edge is weak.  It can easily be pushed down.    Cushion a a  one piece foam  and this thing is Uncomfortable to sit on.

How does one firm up the decking  edge??   Torsion Springs?   If  so,  what is the application?    Thanks to All for ans.

I wonder if Persson has a no sag soft edge similar to this

http://www.barbermfg.com/special_2011.html

If one or two clips came loose it would describe his problem.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

The reason I read the problem differently is because "Persson" mentioned torsion springs. If he knows about torsion springs, I assumed he would've already checked for detached no-sags. But maybe not. He might have posted before having a look inside.

A bunch of sofas  in the 80's had those "seat edge springs" like the ones on the catalog page that I linked in the photobucket pic. They had a high failure rate. When they failed, it created the same problem.

"Barber Loop"......I never knew what to call that technique. I don't remember too many front edges with the barber loop failing.

ahkahn

Kody, that's exactly what I was thinking.

-Andrew

baileyuph

For claification, the center front pushes down easily, but what about the front edge of the deck, does it push down less or none at all?  The answer to this might offer some clarification and further clues, especially regarding frame breakage.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

Clearly, opening up the dust cover and having a "look-see" will be elucidating.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

byhammerandhand

Timely discussion.   I inspected a sofa today with torsion springs and coil springs where the customer reported the same problem.  After a good inspection, I came to the conclusion that the foam cores had lost their resilience.  All the spring support and frame seemed to be working fine.

This was a higher end piece than I'm used to working on.   Most of what I see is mid-quality to slightly above average quality stuff.   This was much more expensive.
Keith