Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:22:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

opinions from marine pros on dodger idea

Started by forsailbyowner, February 06, 2012, 04:44:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Quote from: fragged8 on February 13, 2012, 10:29:32 am
been done in the Uk  ..  scroll to bottom of page

http://www.martexmarine.com/sprayhood_kits.htm

IMHO, the gaps under that sprayhood would let through a phenomenal amount of cold water and wind in foul weather.  Now if someone was dead set against fitting it to the deck with track or turnbuckles, I'd be VERY tempted to sew some 60 gauge window material into the lower hem, flapped against the deck and fitted around the hand rails.  I do the same for fitting against hard tops where there's a difference in level of the track(s) and/or snaps.  Or if there's a gap when there's a transition from one part to another.  I'll add in an extended flap, reinforced with something stiff to hold it against the top (always hidden between two layers of fabric).  I've been in my share of boats where spray finds it's way through the tiniest gaps to get me wet and I don't like it a bit.  When I want to swim, I prefer it not be in the cockpit or on the bridge of a boat.

And I put rubber gasketing around every windshield and wherever else I think it can help keep the water and wind out.  

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

JuneC

Quote from: Peppy on February 13, 2012, 06:50:23 pm
Does anyone staple the seams together first like this guy?

Nope, but I have, since day 1, added at least a 2" fabric reinforcement along the edges of all covers (I call it "facing" - Bobbin understands ;D)  I just cut strips 2.5 inches wide and turn under 1/2" before stitching.  I do staple the strip where I'll start sewing just to be certain I have everything placed correctly.  I do facings on huge mooring covers so if I didn't staple the beginning of the strip my curves would be all off when I got to them.  I cut curved strips.  I do NOT (yeech! :-[ ) put them on with little folds to accommodate the curves like some people do. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

Quote from: JuneC on February 13, 2012, 07:05:34 pm

Nope, but I have, since day 1, added at least a 2" fabric reinforcement along the edges of all covers (I call it "facing" - Bobbin understands ;D)  I just cut strips 2.5 inches wide and turn under 1/2" before stitching.  I do staple the strip where I'll start sewing just to be certain I have everything placed correctly.  I do facings on huge mooring covers so if I didn't staple the beginning of the strip my curves would be all off when I got to them.  I cut curved strips.  I do NOT (yeech! :-[ ) put them on with little folds to accommodate the curves like some people do. 

June

Same here june, takes a lot more time to cut them out individually as opposed to straight stripes, but I am not into mass production  ;D and I find staples don't stay in too well either. I just mark the start & stop of each strip & number them or pile them up in sewing order.

Suzi

Peppy

We do either or. Waterstop or facing. Usually when it's turnbuckles like a dodger or it snaps somewhere the gasket is going to get in the way we do 2" facing. Do you do both at the same time June? And I'm with you, I hate the foldy pleaty look of the straight piece bent to a curve. Unfortunately the sewer refuses to listen to either the boss or me and won't cut shape into the facing. Something to do with her red hair I think. She did actually admit to me this fall that she agrees that it look like crap and that she promises to change her ways. We'll see I hope she does because it really is ugly.

Rich that's a pretty cool idea for a dodger in a box. Would make it way easier for the customer to install it them selves. Although if I was selling them online I'd make the one I took pictures of a little less wrinkly. Looks like he got that one at the boat show.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

fragged8

February 15, 2012, 10:19:58 am #19 Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:53:39 am by fragged8
How bout that Rich, Ijust happened to look at Marine Fabricator just now, and it's about fabric reinforcement!

http://marinefabricatormag.com/articles/0112_st1_fabric_reinforcements.html

Nice one Pepster, I haven't renewed my subs for MF mag yet ..
Thanks Dude, if you to Marks website he usually has those articles
in pdf format to download.

I do mine like June and Grebo, cut all the curved parts to fit the cover
unless its a real cheap cover and i'll use Dacron tape and fold it around the
corners/curves.

You lucky so and so's in the US can buy ready made reinforcement on a roll
we can't get it here.

Rich