Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:32:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

opinions from marine pros on dodger idea

Started by forsailbyowner, February 06, 2012, 04:44:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forsailbyowner

So Im getting ready for the next dodger and was looking at the job and came up with this idea and thought it would be worth kicking around. This sailboat like many others didnt make provisions  for a dodger like a combing, doghouse for sliding hatch. My idea is to build a 3rd bow tg run low over the cabintop just above the sliding hatch, handholds, sail lines etc. then cut this stuff into a tail that would be coming off the bow pocket for the bottom  bow. The area where the clear vinyl  goes is now simply a bow to bow pattern with even support all the way around. Opening windows would all be smiley zips. Could see some fine results not worrying about uneven tension from intermittent attachment along the bottom edge. snap attachment along bottom would be inconsequential due to it only supporting a couple of inches. Pocket for extra bow would have to be small to fit all in below clear.

Peppy

That should work. Kinda like snapping to a traveler but not. How will you mount the bar?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike

if the boaw would be easy to make  for the bottom to follow the boat. i use a track kedar   but i see how this would be a even pull

forsailbyowner

February 06, 2012, 06:35:56 pm #3 Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:44:30 pm by forsailbyowner
mounting would be like regular bow with a jaw slide and eye end. to the deck would only need 2 proper attachment points where the straps or hard kicks would be. Bending the bar to fit the required contour hopefully wouldnt be to bad with bendarc and crownarc, can see a rounded bow to follow natural lines of the boat. This particular boat has an angle moulded into the companionway hatch that would naturally be followed to fit the boat.

JuneC

Would that actually be easier than mounting trailer molding (Keder track) to the deck as Mike suggests? I'd think the molding would give a more watertight fit forward.  Either way should work but IMHO the track would be easier.  How will you seal the bow to the deck?  Or will that just stay open?  I'd think there's bound to be small gaps here and there. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Peppy

So it's essentially a three bar dodger with the forward bar an inch-ish off the deck? How does the front bar get fastened to the deck? Then you need to cut your pocket around the tiny bar...I agree with the others, kedar is the simpler streamlined solution.

I've also just turnbuckled to a flat deck with no problems. If you're worried about pulls between fasteners, add more into the hem like June does and put the closer together.

forsailbyowner

February 07, 2012, 05:29:34 am #6 Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:55:03 am by forsailbyowner
Keder is an acceptable way to do it, Have it in my arsenal. Customer was inquiring about cutting starboard fastener ledge like he sees on one of his friends dodgers.  This boat has a sliding hatch to deal with too. Im betting If I made the "tail" piece out of multiple layers and a little extra large it could be mostly fastened just at the ends and where it goes through handrails. Also does away with the evil screw holes in the coring of the boat which no marine canvas company treats properly. It would be impractical for a canvas guy to dig out the coring and fiberglass over the area then match the finishes etc.... This bow takes the weight of the weather and can be held in place with a hard stainless kicker going back to the next frame inside so each bow can be set independently. Doing away with fasteners into the deck is  huge Being keder track or commonsense studs, they all need screws. Ive come across boats that have been done many thousands of dollars damage by leaky canvas fasteners across the deck. Ya walk across them and the fiberglass gives underneath your step while water oozes from the fastener holes from the saturated mushy coring underneath. The fasteners handle a live moving load when in weather, its hard to keep them sealed a little dab of 5200 just isnt enough.

Im also thinking here that maybe the clear window could be put in simply as a panel for a bimini sewing the smileys in first. Might have to go home and build one of these for the project sailboat that I have going. A prototype would tell me a bunch.

gscmarine

Here's one I made a couple of years ago on a 20 ft. catboat that i was involved in building.The front window snaps down to a piece of tubing that I crowned to approx the same shape as the hatch.It is attached to struts that hold the forward bow up with eye ends and jaw slides.I will  try to get a picture of the frame set up for a better idea.Thre is a pic on my website under Covers.Lower left picture of dodger.

www.gscmarine.com

Geoff

forsailbyowner

I got the idea from looking at a similiar bar going across a sliding hatch. It required welding and putting those darned fasteners into a cored area of the deck. Im enthusiastic about this as ive always felt kind of criminally negligant when im drilling pilots for fasteners and see core material coming up in the shavings.

Peppy

Quote from: forsailbyowner on February 11, 2012, 04:14:48 am
I got the idea from looking at a similiar bar going across a sliding hatch. It required welding and putting those darned fasteners into a cored area of the deck. Im enthusiastic about this as ive always felt kind of criminally negligant when im drilling pilots for fasteners and see core material coming up in the shavings.

IMO if the boat can't handle a few holes drilled in it or a guy walking on the deck the owner has much more serious problems on his hands. By making the dodger 'free floating' you're putting an incredible amount of stress on the few holes you will drill to mount the deck mounts. 4 holes for the main bars 4 more for the tension bars are now carrying the entire stress of the dodger that normally is spread across the 60 (80, 1000 or whatever) holes that would fasten the dodger down. Yes you now have exponentially more holes that are potential water entry points, but those holes are much less stressed so the caulk of your choice has a better chance of working.

I tell customers worried about it that a dodger needs fastening, if you don't want holes you don't want a dodger. In my mind awning rail would still be the way to go, the channel under the track holds the caulk and protects it from UV. I've had to remove track with a hammer after taking out the screws.

Again this is only my opinion, custom canvas is the only trade I can think of where you can do a job three different ways and they can all be wrong.

RandyOnR3

Comming from a sailing person, as we live aboard our FIRST 42 Beneteau..
You want to give the customer what he wants, and if the dodger is just for a Sun Shade, there isnt much reason to attach it to the deck but if the boats dodger is used as a Spray Hood, you want it tight to the top of the boat and all zipper ends hidden up under the flap ..
as I sun shade, it just has to look good but as a Spray Hood where the boat might take a wave over the deck, will it keep ALL the water off the people huddled in behind it in storm conditions..
  Your idea is a good one but will it do its job, and look well on the boat..

fragged8

February 13, 2012, 10:29:32 am #11 Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:30:09 am by fragged8
been done in the Uk  ..  scroll to bottom of page

http://www.martexmarine.com/sprayhood_kits.htm

fragged8

Quote from: Peppy on February 07, 2012, 04:17:38 am
If you're worried about pulls between fasteners, add more into the hem like June does and put the closer together.

I tend to get a pull from the windscreen fittings on the pram hoods i make and have been thinking of sewing
window material behind the reinforcement ?? I haven't done it because I was thinking it might
shrink too much. What do you do ?

Rich

Peppy

Quote from: fragged8 on February 13, 2012, 10:34:32 am
I tend to get a pull from the windscreen fittings on the pram hoods i make and have been thinking of sewing
window material behind the reinforcement ?? I haven't done it because I was thinking it might
shrink too much. What do you do ?

Rich

Everyone around here wants the water stop/ stop leak rubber gasket. I don't really like it, buts its quick and they ask for it, so.... I go less than 8" apart on front windows. Usually around 6". And pull tight sideways between snaps.

Peppy

How bout that Rich, Ijust happened to look at Marine Fabricator just now, and it's about fabric reinforcement!

http://marinefabricatormag.com/articles/0112_st1_fabric_reinforcements.html

Does anyone staple the seams together first like this guy?