Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 11:17:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hot Knives - Please Educate Jethro

Started by Mojo, February 06, 2012, 03:50:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Mike made a post about needing a new blade for his hot knife and that got me thinking.

How does one know when they do need a new blade ? Do they break ? Do they wear out ? I am asking because I have a new hot knife but thought maybe I better have a spare blade handy in case mine gives up the ghost. I know jack about  these things.

Is there things you should do help get longer life from your blade ? When is it time to change out your blade ? Do the blades break ? Anyone want to educate poor Jethro here ?

BTW, I love this new Engle.:)

Chris

Grebo

February 06, 2012, 05:23:17 am #1 Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:26:15 am by Grebo
I used to be forever knocking the darn thing off the table  ( Engel as well)  :-[ so my first blade got pretty bent.
Now I have a hook which I make sure I put it on when it's not in use, I haven't dropped it once  ::) & the 'new blade' should last years.
Now  if you religiously clean it, it might wear down ?
There is a blade guard ? protector thingy, which stops you carving up your work top, I got one & find it real handy for cutting if you don't have a suitable surface or even no surface & cut 'in the air'
http://www.sailcloth.co.uk/index.asp?selection=detailed&uid=15732&catref=&InBox=Tools&cct=0&TypeSearch=&subcat=

:o Didn't cost that when I got it.

Suzi

Mojo

Thanks Suzy. When I bought my hot knife it came with that foot. I never use it as I found I can cut as straight and faster without it.

How do you clean the blade ? I just took a soft wire brush and brushed the garbage off it.

Chris

Mike

my blade broke so no closed circut to get hot , ive had them wear thin and ive also bent some and like suzi i install a screw to hang the it opn by the blade , trouble is i use it sitting ant my table all the time so i have the screw to hang it on to my left  on the edge of the table. and sometimes when i am not looking the cord gewts caught on my foot and trys to trip me and ive broken the cord a coulle time over the years . i wouldnt worry right away about a spare blade chris but a feew years down the line depending how how much cutting you do you mat need it at some time

Grebo

February 07, 2012, 05:03:23 am #4 Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:03:58 am by Grebo
Depends how long since I cleaned it last  :-[ usually scrape  it with a knife.

I agree the knife works better with out the foot thing, lucky you getting it included. I had to get a special order for it. ::)

Suzi

bobbin

That's a really good question.  I have worked on the same hot knife for close to 12 yrs. now and I've noticed a decrease in its efficiency recently.  I periodically use fine steel wool to clean off any accumulated crud on the blade.  In general, I'm the main user and I'm the caretaker.  I do note improved performance after I've given it a "spa day", but it's nowhere near as clean and efficient as my own Engel, which is newer and has seen a lot less use. 

I've never beaten either of the two I use up very much and I tend to use the safety foot.  I find that spending a little time to adjust the postition of the guide foot improves performance markedly.  Using the guide foot also protects the tabletop and the blade if accidental dropping occurs.  When using the guide foot, it's important to not hurry the blade through the fabric!  Give the heat adequate time to melt through the goods, forcing it creates a ragged, improperly seared edge and portions of uncut fabric behind the blade that gag up on the foot. 

Mike

I took the foot off because I use the knife slot to cut off like the tag ends sticking up in a u zipper say after I sew the zip on I cut it with the knife that I will mt it skinnier to I can bind across the top of the window andthe u zipper hit knife cut ends now skinnier.
Or a multitude if similar curmts a d the foot dosent work for this. I don't mind the marks on my tables Formica top

stitcher_guy

Where's a decently priced place to buy a hot knife? I"ve been needing one for awhile, but never investigated. But, hey, if Chris got one, I gotta have one.  :P

Grebo

My table top was secondhand ''Free''   :P When I bought my first industrial sewing machine, it was already scared up so I don't mind either  ;D
If I got a new top I would probably take more care  ::)

Suzi

Mojo

Russ:

Rochford has the best price on the internet. I have boycotted them since they started screwing me over so I called Sailrite and asked them to bundle their knife like Rochford and price match it and they did.

Greg sells the Engle as well but doesn't have the bundle and I have no idea if he would price match.

Here is the bundle - http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Cutters_and_Punches/Engel_Hot_Knife_Cutter/index.html

I checked Gregs price and theirs is higher. He wants the same amount just for the knife and blade and without the foot. I am not sure if Greg can bundle and price match like Sailrite does. I have asked him countless times to pout together this bundle but never got an answer.

I wanted to buy mine from Greg instead of sailrite but I wanted the bundle. :(

Chris

JuneC

This place has the cutter and a blade combo for $149.00 (no foot) - probably $25 less than anywhere else.  If I were in the market, I'd email them and ask what it would cost to add in a foot - or order the foot from Sailrite.

http://shop.skinboats.com/Engel-HSGM-Hot-Cutter-Pro-Engel-HSGM-Hot-Cutter-Pro.htm

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Bob T

Go to page 90 on this website: http://www.challengesailcloth.com/hardware/catalog05.pdf

For 110V the handle is part no. THKEC2 and my price lists says it's $112.85.  The blade is part no. THKEB and lists for $26.60. 

On a different but similar note, Challenge carries the good delrin YKK #5 & #10 zippers.  There was such strong support and request for the delrin that they stopped carrying the nylon toothed zippers altogether.  They only carry delrin now.  Delrin holds up much better in high UV exposure.

Enjoy!

Bob T

Surprise surprise, the Challenge Sailcloth guy came by today to show off his new stuff.  I also found out my price book is out of date.  He's going to send me a new one, so "heads up" the prices I quoted in the post above may have gone up.

Mojo

You guys just had to go and post those prices and make me feel bad. :)

I paid $ 200 for the hot knife, blade and foot through Sail Rite's price match.

I will have to order a new blade from these people just so I have it.

Thanks for posting June and Bob.

Chris

Mike

Greatinks folks I'm go a need  a blade I'll probly get another  knife also.