Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:12:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

2001 Sierra Center Console Help Needed

Started by DH, January 22, 2012, 08:01:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DH

Hello All,
   I picked up a "simple" repair job yesterday that has proven to be not so simple. I can't, for the life of me, get the black ABS cup holder/ console tray to release. Anyone had any experience with these? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Dewayne

Vtool

you will need to cut stitching. this will give you access to opposite side of cup holder. you then need to cut foam all the way to back of cup holder. their will be plastic retainers that release cup holder. after you release retainers. cup holder will fall out of armrest. their are  about 5 to 8 retainers. all you have to do is glue foam back together and reinstall cup holder. this is a real pain in ass. it's always better to have 2nd person open foam while you release retainers.  I have done maybe 100 of these arm rest doing leather kit installs. hope this helps. vtool

stitcher_guy

i use a panel tool and put steady pressure under the edge of the cup holder. You can't force it or pry it, steady pressure and the clips pop free. Do it too quick, and you snap off the clips. Then no need to destroy the foam cutting it apart.

Vtool

you wont destroy foam. I have done plenty with no problems. what do you do if you break all clips ?

baileyuph

Therefore, Vtoo, what you are saying is to save the clips, you have to get inside the cushion?

Makes sense if this is the only way to separate the cup holder with out destroying something.

Good to know, I don't think I have come across one of these.  But, could happen tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, glad you brought the subject up DM. 

Doyle

Vtool

I'm not trying to say stitcher guy is wrong. me and five other employees would love to see his technique. this armrest is a pain in the ass. so being able to seperate without cutting would be nice. also thread and glue are cheaper than a new cup holder. if you look at photo. you see the area where drinks are placed. the front clips are located at each corner and the center of  front drink area. the other two clips are located right behind where drinks are placed. hope this helps.

DH

Thank you both for the help.

I tried prying with steady pressure but maybe didn't use enough pressure (chickened out).Cutting the foam to access the releases from the bottom is what I chose to do. In regards to cutting the foam away, I don't like to create more work but in this case I felt safer to go that route than taking the chance on breaking the clips or worse, the tray.

Thanks again

Dewayne

stitcher_guy

Vtool, thanks for not saying I'm wrong. Been doing it for 11 years and 2,100 posts on here. It's just another way to get the cup holder free, and it works for me.

Vtool

no problem stitcher guy. like I said . this is a pain in the ass armrest. being able to seperate without cutting would be nice. I wish it was as easy, as the three piece armrest in new chevy trucks. the both use same clips. also this is about helping someone, not who's right. my question is what is your technique and what tools are you using ? these clips are deep and I would like to be able not to cut.

baileyuph

January 26, 2012, 04:55:17 pm #9 Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:00:22 pm by DB
Yes, this is about learning and I need the learning. :)

Wouldn't that likely be the same consol as the Chevy truck?

Yes, it does sound like a PITA type, I too will be anxious to read about Stitcher's technique.  Probably apply the technique to other plastic parts sometime.  I am thinking the 2001 chevy truck could have the same consol?

Thanks all for your help.

Doyle

Vtool

yes DB they are the same console. their are 2 types of armrest in new chevys. a 2 piece and a 3 piece. they both use the same clips. the 3 piece clips are hid in angle. so you can cut thread,but no foam cutting. also the torx screws that fasten lid are poor quality. I recommend a good quality T- 15 screwdriver. I bought a snap-on just for the top piece.

Vtool

tomorrow I will put up some pics of 3 piece armrest. I worked on 1 today. I took photos of clips, armreat itself and torx screws for lid.