Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:43:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Recliner Mechanisms - Availability to Who?

Started by baileyuph, January 21, 2012, 06:33:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Can a shop buy the mechanisms?  Or are they only available through a dealer, for example a furniture retailer?

When I install these, they come from the dealer, but is that the only way they can be purchased?

I suspect it will depend on the brand of furniture or mechanism?  For example, a LA-Z-Boy mechanism would probably have to come through a retail dealer?

Then, the more generic units, if there is such a thing, may or may not have to be sourced through a retail dealer?

Does anyone have a handle on these requirements?  I put a bunch in and all these are provided to me because the recliners are relatively new.  It would be good for a business person to know the purchasing details, especially for the older chairs.

One could probably spend much time resolving this on the net?

Doyle

byhammerandhand

January 21, 2012, 07:20:33 am #1 Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:32:01 am by byhammerandhand
Yes.  It's been my experience that most of the mechs out there besides La-z-boy are made by Leggett & Platt.

I order from them regularly for both mechs and the cable releases that always seem to break.  I send them digital photos of the parts I need and any brand, model, and manufacture date that I can find and they send me the parts.

However, some mfrs will have lifetime warranties on the mech, parts only, not labor.  For these, the price from the mfr varies from free to pay $20 or so for shipping.  OF course, this works only when mfr is still in business.  I've had no luck finding parts for Barcalounger.  They used a different OEM.

I did one recently for Ethan Allen and mistakenly ordered parts through them.  What a hassle it was, they charged $40 for the part and another $40 for the shipping.  Then I had to go to their store to pick it up because they wouldn't drop ship it.  I didn't know until the replacement part came in that it was an L&P.

The La-z-boys have not worked for me.   I went out and looked at a couple.  Then I told the consumer if they went to La-z-boy store, they would order a replacement.  The SOBs convinced the consumer to let them do the work, then and cut me out.

(I sent you a PM with contact information, but I'm not sure it worked.  Let me know if you get it, DB)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Thank you Keith!  I did get the contact information.  I surely appreciate it because I have two customers not wanting mechanisms but they want the release pull cables.  Those sure are prone to break. 

I was dining at a restaurant and a couple I know joined me and put their request in for service to replace two pulls.  Those are fun, easy money.

I tended to think the LA-Z-Boy situation would be the way you explained.  They have the inside track on that business all the way.

Again thanks for the contact information on the the mechanisms.  Now, if I could just find a source for Chrome Craft chairs (kitchen).  I have a customer with a set of those needing some parts.  On that one I did contact Chrome Craft and they are out of the parts business.  This change came about when they started out sourcing all their manufacturing to China.  They told me they no longer had no parts in the states.  So sad!

Doyle

byhammerandhand

When I order cable releases, I normally order a few because the shipping is expensive for just one.   For example, one is about $20 and two are about $27.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

Oh that freight issue!  I love it when I order a yard of OEM material and the freight equals the material cost.

Good point Keith, the last order I did get a half dozen and they didn't last long.  Had to buy them through a funiture dealer.  I did not know that L and P made them.  Good to know.

Doyle

kodydog

Leggett & Platt also makes the mechanisms for hide-a-beds. Reasonable prices.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html