Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 02:20:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Customer / Our Forum Discussion

Started by Mojo, January 19, 2012, 04:32:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: Mike on January 22, 2012, 03:59:59 pm
It's as on carrs site there wasn't much for me  so. I did post much so I was deleted was there a Dee I don't know but if there is I'm not going to find out
You're still listed in the member's list at Carrs, so I don't think you've been deleted there.
Some logins automatically lock you out if you enter your password incorrectly 3 times in a row. Is it possible that happened? You know, you DO have a slight tendency to hit the wrong keys.  ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

CKKC

I know I have no right to say anything on this site because I'm not a pro, just a DIY'er
for myself, but I have learned a LOT of information here on the craft of upholstery.
I for one would miss hearing all the ins and outs of the business end.  I truly hope
you will put up with me on your wonderful site, otherwise I will be quite sad!
:'(

Mojo

I think some are misunderstanding the intent of a Pro Section. It is for stitchers at any level. All it does is prevent customers from coming in and being able to gather information on our pricing strategies, wholesale pricing, etc.

Lurkers, newbies to the trade and old pro's can all share info under the " Pro's Section". Heck I do not consider myself a Pro just a stitcher. :) Maybe a better name should be sued to include all  stitchers at any level such as The Stichers Section or whatever.

But the intent of this section is just to keep customers from gathering info on our operations. If a customer wants to come on, register and lie about being an upholsterer then there is little that can be done. But right now it is way to easy for customers and others to gain info off this site. I no longer discuss pricing strategies here on the forum for this same reason. I do not talk anymore about my margins, percentages or wholesale prices. I just had a customer visit this site and collect data on me. I do not need another customer coming on here and gathering my pricing strategies only to use it later against me.

That is why I suggested a private section so we can share some of this info.

Chris

Peppy

Quote from: sterry56 on January 22, 2012, 03:12:50 pm
the only way to keep separate the "Joes" from the  "Pros" would be some type of membership dues......$20 -$30/ year.

That'd be awesome! I feel like I spend way to much time on here, so to get paid for it would be great!

;)
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike

I agree with you mojo I wouldn't mind a private buisness section at all and would pony up. 
It just anytime I've seen a fee turn up on a forum it died. If it could be implemented without one I  would be for it.  I don't know the expence issues. 

kodydog

Quote from: CKKC on January 22, 2012, 04:16:02 pm
I know I have no right to say anything on this site because I'm not a pro, just a DIY'er
for myself, but I have learned a LOT of information here on the craft of upholstery.
I for one would miss hearing all the ins and outs of the business end.  I truly hope
you will put up with me on your wonderful site, otherwise I will be quite sad!
:'(

Isn't the site already set up to stay incognito, if you wish, with out a "pro only room". If I didn't post my web site, And put as little info as possible on my profile. And gave as little info as possible about my location on the posts. Who would ever know who I was.

Chris, Denis, both Mikes, June, Gene, Daren to name a few. I know your first names but haven't a clue your last. And Bobbin I consider you a good friend but I know neither you first or last. I know where most of you live but only because you told me through you post's. I may be wrong but if you truly wanted to be incognito it wouldn't be that hard. Maybe to late for some of us but I would hate to exclude any one from our conservations be they general or business.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Peppy

Quote from: Mike on January 22, 2012, 06:22:32 pm
I agree with you mojo I wouldn't mind a private buisness section at all and would pony up. 
It just anytime I've seen a fee turn up on a forum it died. If it could be implemented without one I  would be for it.  I don't know the expence issues. 

I was just joking in my earlier post, but I would never (ever, ever) pay to be on a forum of any kind. Being asked to pay a fee would be the last you saw of me.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

hidebound

I think I understand the point of a private section. I am just speaking from a different perspective. Sofa in a different post mentioned ordering a couple of extra yards on a com job and wondered if that shouldnt be something that is private and I think I agree. I have also been suprised to see some information given out here that I would consider sensitive. If I am misunderstanding its because I have been to Carrs site and I dont qualify for their private side without being dishonest. I certainly understand a section where people like me would have to be serious enough to do something to be invited to a private section.

Grebo

My 2c worth.
I hate forums with millions of sub divisions. I believe one of the reasons this one is successful is because we are all lumped in together, if there is a topic that doesn't interest you, you just don't read it.
On the flip side if a some one in a trade that you wouldn't normally go looking at posts something that grabs your eye ( ie car stuff for me) you can have a nosy at something that you wouldn't normally go looking for & in the process possibly learn something.
Personally I would think that simply making the business of upholstery ' members only' would be quite sufficient. For those that wish to use it.
Then I don't talk about prices as there are 'few' ? members in my area to compare with, We can all whine about customers just don't be to specific & as two worrying about what you put out on the World Wide Web. Well ! 
I just always remember that any body could be reading it, or looking at the pictures. Simples  :D

:-*  Suzi

BigJohn

Guys what you all forget if a customer gets to your post using a search engine they will go right around any limited access forum you set up. I'd like to listen to what others that are knowledgeable on the subject have to say but I think I'm correct.

kodydog

January 23, 2012, 05:20:10 pm #40 Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:21:26 pm by kodydog
Quote from: BigJohn on January 23, 2012, 10:18:30 am
Guys what you all forget if a customer gets to your post using a search engine they will go right around any limited access forum you set up. I'd like to listen to what others that are knowledgeable on the subject have to say but I think I'm correct.

Good point Big John. I'm not a member of Carr"s Corner but I do frequent it. How do they select their members only section? Whats to keep any Tom, Dick or Henrietta from joining?

Darren Henry

June or ken (oops almost forgot Bobby)would probably have an answer for you Big John.

I have to agree with Suzi and the others that believe that we all appreciate that what we say could be read by anyone and that we all write accordingly.

QuoteAll it does is prevent customers from coming in and being able to gather information on our pricing strategies

I see the other side of that coin:If I tell someone that a job takes x hrs and they think that just bending some tubing and sewing some canvas on it should only take a couple of hours--- I'd far sooner them research it her and find me right than catching that You tube vid of the African American chap who was explaining how to make a bimini from ABS pipe etc... in his back yard for <$200. (we have to dig that link back up-- it was hilarious!!). If I say it'll be 10 yard and they don't believe me--they can hear it here. I'd almost go so far as to say that their attendance here is an excellent opportunity to educate/inform  them.

That said, and having had this brought to our attention; we have the resources to PM each other as per ????? what a tee nut costs in North Dakota vs. Saskatchewan.Ten percent of "I don't know" is the same as 20% of "I have no idea" so the guy in Regina can't try to bully you for the price in Minot.

The photos and feed back of our respective works are also a valuable referral.

I say let them come---- We all have seen that your work rocks Mojo and that you are unfair to yourself cartwheeling for your customers-- let 'em peek up your nighty  8) and we'll tell them.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

i know what you meen Suzi i used to be a on a forum at the lake i used to live there was on  forum and everyone would check in on one board then later on it got all sebmented and interest was lost and post were missed much like i never used to look at the green room here.
i dont see hwhere any bad info could be had here on mojo if i had a motorhome im sure id rather have his work as he doese it all the time and is good at it. i happened to look up a cutomer myself and foud out his story too
really no bigie i just dont talk whosale either and i dont list retail on a invoice either

kodydog

January 25, 2012, 06:30:38 pm #43 Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:31:09 pm by kodydog
Mike and Darren make good points Mojo. I've never seen your work but I have great respect for it just from the posts I've read on the forum. If I were you I would have no shame in what you have written on here. You would be "MY" first choice in awning work.

Mojo

First off let me say thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it as I lack confidence sometimes and need a kick in the ass and a boost of confidence.

In regards to making the business section a members only spot ( with no bloody fee mind you ) I was thinking it would give us a place to discuss things that there is NO WAY I want a customer to read. How many of us want customers to know our margins ? Prices we pay for materials ? Mark ups we make on fabric ? If one of my customers got a hold of this info it would be re-posted and in front of thousands of potential customers in a days time on RV forums.

Guess what happens next ? I start getting customers trying to beat the hell out of my price based on what they read. No frigging way am I going to discuss prices in an open forum like this. That is why I said that maybe we could have just one section ( and it makes sense to do this with the business section ) where only members are allowed. If we did that with the business section then we would not have to add more sections to the forum. Just convert it.

Actually right now I have some things I wanted to discuss with all of you and get your input but it has to do with pricing and margins and I am not willing to share that with the world. :)

I do not know how hard it would be to make the business section a closed part of the forum for just us members. Is Ken still alive ? Did Bobby get kidnapped ? I still haven't seen their comments on this subject. Lets call out the Marines to find these guys......lol.... ;D

Chris