Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 08:19:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Small roll up, ideas please.

Started by Grebo, January 18, 2012, 02:34:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

I have a bimini in for repair.
It has a short section permanently sewn to the leading edge that zips onto the back of the sprayhood. The owner wants to roll it up back to the bimini, so would I.
Because it's such a small amount of material less than 1m wide, I am at a bit of a lose how to fix it back with out having Tye's dangling about when it's zipped in position.  ::)

What do you recon ?

Suzi

Darren Henry

You could use snaps the same as the walk through flap on a convertible top. Three or four snap studs a couple of inches from the seam, roll it up and mark for the corresponding snap sockets.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Grebo

Hmm, I think I know what you mean. So pops on fabric with no strap. Is that right ?

Suzi

JuneC

Or a zipper.  I've seen a few roll-up sections done this way and at first thought to myself, "why is there half a zipper on the outside of the top??"  Then a light bulb went on  :o  Put one half on the inside, the other on the outside, when rolled, zip together and the whole piece is enclosed in a neat package. I'd bind the outside zip half, or cover the zip with a short flap so the sun doesn't rot it too quickly.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Grebo

I think I prefer that June, more chance of staying put.

Thanks all.  :-*

fragged8

hehe i saw that June last season.

I had just the same thought,  'humm thats strange, half a zipper'

:-)

Rich

Darren Henry

Better idea June on that wide a beam.  8) You 'da gal.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: JuneC on January 18, 2012, 07:26:36 am
Or a zipper.  I've seen a few roll-up sections done this way and at first thought to myself, "why is there half a zipper on the outside of the top??"  Then a light bulb went on  :o  Put one half on the inside, the other on the outside, when rolled, zip together and the whole piece is enclosed in a neat package. I'd bind the outside zip half, or cover the zip with a short flap so the sun doesn't rot it too quickly.

June

june beat me ive done that before mostly on older boat that the top snapped to the windoww you could roll it back and zip it at the secondary boaw and stand up to see

Peppy

I've seen turnbuckles riveted to the middle bar with washers in the panel to lift it up and fasten. This was on a canvas panel with actual glass in it. And a windshield wiper even.

You could go old timey like on a tent, with a little binding loop on the outside with string sewn on the inside to be tied up. Low profile perhaps, but June's way is better.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Grebo

Mike

January 19, 2012, 11:40:39 am #10 Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:34:36 pm by Mike
Now that that settled  I just relized that it's been over 8 years sense I made a roll. With snaps In The top
u know on a bowrider where the convertible top
rolls back and the window swings open. I always hated them , the last thing I would do on The top
but I havnt done one in Florida

Peppy

Quote from: Mike on January 19, 2012, 11:40:39 am
Now that that's settles I just relized that it's been over 8 years sense I made a roll. With snaps In The top
u k kw on a bowrider where the convertible top
rolls back and the window swings open. I always hate them , the last thing I would do on The top
but I havnt sone one in Florida

I do them constantly. 2" and 10" from the seam. First thing I do, because I always forgot them and hate leaning way over trying to line them up.

Mike

I never had trouble reachin gthem at 6'4"

Peppy

Well I guess not! I'm 5'9" and I could use a guy like you around. For scaffolding. I bet you can use a snapgun one handed too. I can if I have to but it has to be started a bit.

Mike

ive never tried two hands peppy ,when i was younger i did some plasterting I was working one time with a old itialian fellow who was lucky  to see 5' it was a real pain hed set a ceiling up staing for him my head was always in the plaster