Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:50:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

dash recover

Started by Vtool, January 15, 2012, 08:40:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vtool

Has anyone recovered a dash pad ? this is for a honda. just wanted some tips. I have it stipped. plan on using heat gun and  steamer for vinyl.

SHHR

I've covered many. Lot's of heat, patience, tugging, and a very stretchy material. On any tight right angles like around the gauge areas, you'll do good to pattern and sew a seam there for any sharp transitions. certainly a good leather or high stretch vinyl will conform , but sometimes the seam improves looks and saves aggravation too.
Kyle

TheHogRing

January 16, 2012, 11:31:42 pm #2 Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:33:10 pm by TheHogRing
Check out this site, it'll walk you through the process: http://www.justdashes.com/71_olds_dash.php

Best of luck Vtool. No doubt you'll do a great job!

ncydmn

Well that vacuum machine and oven to heat the vinyl would be awesome, but for those of us without here is the way I have to do them.  good luck!!

http://roykeithclassics.com/Dash_Pad_Repair.html           

TheHogRing

NCYDMN, great job on that dash! We'd love to feature it on The Hog Ring just as we did our gel pad "how to". Please let us know if that's okay - and/or if you'd like to add or change anything. You can email us off this list forum by visiting our website and clicking on the mail icon in the top right of the homepage.

Thanks!

Vtool

thanks for the info . this will be for my own personal car. I also purchased a freehand cutter, that hog ring had mentioned on his site. that is a neat tool. I hope to put a unique design on my dash. this car will be a example of my work for potential customers. thanks again folks. Vtool