Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:21:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Let's talk websites

Started by bobbin, January 05, 2012, 02:34:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Mike 802's comments on his website and Mojo's experience in marketing have me thinking about websites.  I don't have one and know I ought to.  But I'm not sure where to start.  There is so much I just don't know and I'm watching every penny as I work toward putting together a work portfolio reflective of the work I really want to do in the future.  So maybe we could start with some basics.

1.)  I have a domain name (I think!, the GoDaddy thing, right?)
2.)  Who hosts your website? how do you select a host?
3.)  How do you pay for that (monthly/yearly?) and are there free options for the cash-strapped?
4.)  Do the number of pages affect the price you pay?
5.)  Can you use free "templates" to create your own website? if yes, how do you find them? Pros/cons?

OK, that ought to get things started.  Clearly, I need really basic information so I will have a sort of framework to use as a starting point. 

sofadoc

Places like vistaprint.com also do web hosting. They have templates to design from. 3 pages is 5 bucks a month. If you've already registered your domain, you'll have to provide them with an authorization code.
They offer a free 30 day trial.

I finally did get mine "cleaned up" a little. But since I've got more work than I can do, I don't worry about mine too much.
OK Chris, get out your red pen:
www.paynesupholstery.com

Several pages have been "Under construction" for over a year now. ;D  I had a full memory card of pics saved up, which the teenager who was designing my website promptly lost. So I'm back to square one on photos.

After looking it over, I'm sure that you'll agree that I'm positively the LAST person you want to take web site advice from. :)
The templates are fine if you just want to get one going on a budget. You can always tweak it later.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

ive had homestead for ears , its easy to make chep ans they take care of all the important stuff.
http://ww3.homestead.com

mike802

Bobbin:  When I got my first web site I had a lot of the same questions.  Cant say that I have any more answers today than I did then, but my first site was with Jack Carr.  I started out with a template, all I had to do was fill in the text and ad the pictures.  It was fairly easy to put together and Doing business with Jack was a good experience.  He actually got me my domain  name and registered it for me once a year. If you are just looking to have a web presence and plan on generating most of your own traffic through advertising your site, you cant go wrong with Jack, it is a good way to get your feet wet, so to speak.  He only charged me around 150.00 buck for a year, my only reservation with Jack is I never got a phone number and always had to deal with him through email, but he always answered me promptly.  Over the years my site grew into something Jack never intended to offer his clients, I cant fault Jack for that, as I was always pushing for more.  It just got to the point for me where my site had grown into something that required a different approach.  You can email Jack at  info@carrscorner.com  I went to his forum www.carrscorner.com and did not see anything about his web site offerings, so I am not sure it he is still offering them, you will have to ask him if you are interested, good luck with getting your first site.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

MinUph

January 05, 2012, 08:50:01 pm #4 Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:17:22 pm by MinUph
bobbin,
 Websites today are really a great investment. Not much investment in cash but a good additional form of advertising. People will look you up and if you don't have one they come up empty. So now to answer your questions. Ive done this for 25 + years  and have seen good and bad.
 You said you have a domain name. That's the first step. Make sure you are the owner. Many times people don't realize that they don't own their domain. Let me explain something here. You rent a domain name by the year. Around 15 - 20 bucks a year from Go-Daddy.
 Hosting is step two. I've used probably a dozen hosting companies through the years. I have settled in with Go-Daddy for a few years now. It cost around 90 bucks a year. And I can host as many domains on my server space that I want. They have a website tonight feature where you can build a site through templates. I cant speak to this as I never used it. But I'm sure it decent. You should not have any limits to the amount of pages you want. If so move on to another host.
There are basically 3 important parts to hosting.
1.  Space. (storage that is) most will give you more than you will ever need or use.
2.  Bandwidth (traffic) again most will give you more than you will ever need.
3.  Cost Many are expensive. Don't pay more that 100 per year.
Some additional things. that you may or may not want or need.
Being able to host multiple domains in your folder at no additional cost. like bobbinsdrapes.com. bobbinsupholstery.com, bobbinsbobbins.net etc.etc. A domain is a folder on a server, like your files on your computer. I simplify this but suffice to say it shouldn't cost you more to do multiple domains.
Pros to templates
 They are easy for the novice.
 Most look decent
 They are easy. Did I mention that?
Cons.
 They are used by many people so your site might look like someone else's template.
 Some templates are not search engine friendly. So you won't get listed well in like Google, and the others.

So the main things to consider are OWNING (wrong word) Being the Administrator is better, your domain., Hosting it for a reasonable cost, Building the site. (Home site BTW was very good back in the day) SEO (Search Engine Optimization) No one will come if they don't know your there. Searches are the main way to get visitors.

Don't be overwhelmed just bite the bullet and get stared. You will learn as you go. Just be sure you have total control of your domain. I cant emphasize that enough.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

timtheboatguy

I have had websites through Yahoo for years, the cost is around ten or twelve bucks a month. I took some computer multimedia classes at the local community college back in the 90's and learned enough to set up a basic site. I do not gain a lot of new customers from my website, perhaps three or four last year but it is a great brochure, has directions to my shop and adds a bit of "legitimate business" to my business and shows that I am a tangible part of the local community

Also, I put my website ural "www.timsdockside.com" on my invoices, biz cards, emails, vehicles, and mention it on my voicemail. I believe every business should have a website, it's a lot of exposure for a small investment.

Tim

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

gene

Sofadoc, you have a page on your web site where a person can upload a picture to get an estimate. How often do you get requests from this feature? I think it's a great idea.

I tell folks to email pics to me.

Do any other of you folks have this feature on your web site where people can upload pics for an estimate?

Thanks for all the info on this topic.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

mike802

January 08, 2012, 07:33:58 am #7 Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:35:36 am by mike802
I usually just ask people to email me a picture, but I really like the idea of uploading a picture to the web site.  It gives you a good reason to point people to your web site who may never have gone there otherwise.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

January 08, 2012, 07:37:27 am #8 Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:45:04 am by sofadoc
The guy that re-vamped my site added that feature a couple of months ago.
So far, only 2 have used the upload feature. The rest still e-mail a pic to me the old fashioned way. I probably need to explain the upload option in big bold fonts on the front page. Many people don't venture beyond the first page unless they are prodded.
BTW one of the 2 that uploaded a pic wanted a custom-made sleeping bag. Yeah, I'll get right on that!
BUT, over half just bring their camera in to my shop, and show it to me.
This goes back to my post about demographics. The average furniture upholstery customer still isn't all that technologically advanced. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Websites are imperative today. Consumers are geared to doing research these days and these new habits send them right to the internet.

I vote for Godaddy like Paul suggested. Get the cheapest service they have. You will never out grow that type of service in regards to space or e-mail accounts needed.

Include as much info and pictures as possible on your website and then direct all of your advertising ( flyers, rack cards, etc. ) to your website.

Once you get it done, if you need me to review it, let me know. These days I only charge a Diet Coke for my consulting fees. :)

Chris

bobbin

I'm good with the "administrator" thing.

I'm not so good with figuring out how to use the templates.   :o   But I have friends who're OK with that sort of stuff and are willing to help me (they'll work for food). 

I'm also pretty "thin" when it comes to photographs.  I have some, but not enough to make a very good showing on a website.  I need to get busy on that. 
1.)  how do you feel about "action shots"? pictures of work being "done"?
2.)  how do you rate "before" and "after" shots?
3.)  what sorts of shots  do you think work best?

Do you feel dialogue is a good thing or not?  I am not sure how much "reading" a visitor to my site should face, need your ideas on that. 

MinUph

1.)  how do you feel about "action shots"? pictures of work being "done"?

Nice for some but not a great selling point. Finished is best.

2.)  how do you rate "before" and "after" shots?

Again these show what can be done but finished work is best.

3.)  what sorts of shots  do you think work best?

Any that look great and show quality and type of work done.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Thanks, Paul!

I have a lot of work to do.  (gulp)

gene

I don't  have a web site yet, but I have been thinking of action shots.

Looking at selling old furniture, I'm thinking a shot of the bare frame, of the springs 8 way hand tied, of new cotton/batting/foam, etc. This will show the progress of the piece and the fact that there is all new material.

My thought is that the pictures would go along with the chair, whether the chair has fabric or muslin.

My other thought is to have these on a web site when I get that up and running.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

That approach appeals to me, Gene.  I may not be representative of the usual viewer, but I really like the idea of a project "in progress".  To ME it underscores the work and time required to bring a piece from "junk" to handsome and fully useful. 

JMO