Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 06:23:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I've seen the light!!

Started by sofadoc, December 30, 2011, 02:33:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

About a year ago, I posted this short video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub69I7GTJjI

I posted the link here, to demonstrate the Hartco clinch gun that I had just acquired. I never really intended for anyone else to see it. But I never removed it.

Today, I received a e-mail from someone that saw it. He had one of his own for me to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/user/inTylerable?email=comment_received

Why have I labored all these years with expensive industrial tools?
A roll of lamp cord is all you need.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

mike802

sofadoc: I must have missed your youtube video, that is a great little tool, where can I get one? 

Lamp cord? This guy should be embarrassed. It might tighten the springs up temporarily, but I cant imagine it lasting very long. IMHO this gives professional upholsters a bad image.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

Quote from: mike802 on December 30, 2011, 03:15:31 pm
sofadoc: I must have missed your youtube video, that is a great little tool, where can I get one?
Here's a new one:
http://www.industrialnailers.com/hartcohr-65bah-furnitureapplicationslightclippingtool.aspx

I scored a used one on E-Bay for $75 last year. That clincher is also used for  constructing lobster traps. It shoots these clips:
http://www.staplersandstaples.com/shopping/Products/Stanley-Bostitch-Hartco-HR-CLP-23-Clip__HR-CLP-23.aspx
They are similar to #3 edgewire clips, only smaller with a tighter crimp.
I got the 12 gauge paper wrapped wire from Hickory Springs. A 2000 ft roll was $100 including delivery.

That tool, along with the wire and clips has been a Godsend for repairing recliners, sofas, restaurant booths, etc. The wire is actually heavier than original equipped wire, so when I get done, it's better than new.

Keep checking E-bay. Every now and then, one comes up for auction. It's by far the best 75 bucks I ever spent.

bobbin

I don't disagree that a guy using electrical wire is a total hack and does no service to upholsterers that really know what they're doing and care about doing it properly.  But maybe there's a different way to look at it... maybe he is just some guy who had no money and a sagged out sofa that he needed to fix using what he had on hand... .  (well, MAYBE).

The is no shortage of useful information available on the web, is there?  I'm glad you were shown the error of your ways, Sofa..

kodydog

I'm with Mike in that after about 2 or 3 months the lamp cord will stretch. Would love the guy to come on here and give his two cents worth.

And now that Sofa brought it up what is the best way to fix sagging No-Sags? I'll explain how an old timer taught me later.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

December 30, 2011, 06:03:30 pm #5 Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:07:22 pm by sofadoc
Yeah, I got no problem with people doing their own "fix-it" jobs using whatever they have laying around. As long as they're happy, that's all that matters.
But if I "coathangered" my tailpipe, I wouldn't e-mail a mechanic and tell him to watch my video. ;D
We occasionally have some DIY'ers come on here fishing for compliments on their novice upholstery jobs. I never know what to say. I mean, considering they have no professional equipment or formal training, some of their work looks as good as can be expected. But I don't want to mislead them into thinking they're ready to hang out their own shingle.
Sadly, some of the same people that watch Mike's excellant wing chair "How-to" videos are probably gonna stumble across that guy's "lamp cord" repair technique.
Not every slack-jawed yokel out there in Youtube land knows the difference between a professional method, and one employed by Moe, Larry, and Curly.

Maybe I should rename this topic. Because I CAN'T see the light anymore...... I had to rob the cord off the lamp to fix my couch. :D

gene

That is a clever idea. I don't know how long it would last either. Why not use a metal rod?

If you watch that guy's other videos, he shows on one of them how to fix your broken glass pipe. I'm sure some professional crack pipe fixers won't care to much for his DYI approach to this either.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

fingers

Sofa, how wide/long is the clip your using? Mod. # of gun?

bobbin

I knew this thread would be a source of never ending chuckles.  Thanks for the amusement, guys.  :)

I feel the same way about those things advertised on TV that allow you to adjust the hems on your pants quickly and easily as you do about lampcord triage and coathangering tailpipes and calling the mechanic is search of praise.  Lol. 

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on December 30, 2011, 06:03:30 pm
Yeah, I got no problem with people doing their own "fix-it" jobs using whatever they have laying around. As long as they're happy, that's all that matters.
But if I "coathangered" my tailpipe, I wouldn't e-mail a mechanic and tell him to watch my video. ;D

Maybe I should rename this topic. Because I CAN'T see the light anymore...... I had to rob the cord off the lamp to fix my couch. :D

when I was a teen I clothshangerss my tailpipe. 
I even have cut open a tin  ca. Fooled a hole up on the pipe and used hose clamps to hold the can on covering the hole   

gene

Recently a guy came up to me and asked if I had a coat hanger. He had locked his keys in his car. I said "Yes I do.", and I then proceeded to give him a plastic coat hanger. He did not find that as funny as I did.

gene

sofadoc

December 31, 2011, 09:00:35 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 09:04:11 am by sofadoc
Quote from: fingers on December 31, 2011, 02:53:39 am
Sofa, how wide/long is the clip your using? Mod. # of gun?    
The Hartco HR 24 clip is about 7/8" wide, compared to 1 1/4" on the #3 edgewire clips. Here it is:

The gun is a Hartco model HR 65C:

Most of the time, used ones end up selling for around $250 on E-Bay. I really got lucky when I found one last year with a starting bid of $75. No one else bid on it. New ones are $800. Rebuilt ones are around $400.

fingers

Thanks for taking the time to pass along the info. 75 bucks is a heck of a deal. Perhaps patience and diligence will pay off for me as well.

Bern

Mike

Quote from: gene on December 31, 2011, 06:34:06 am
Recently a guy came up to me and asked if I had a coat hanger. He had locked his keys in his car. I said "Yes I do.", and I then proceeded to give him a plastic coat hanger. He did not find that as funny as I did.

gene

that wouldn't have worked to well if he wants to hang his muffler either would it ;)

gene

Good one Mike. LOL

Remember when we used to wrap meat and vegetables in tin foil and put it next to the exhaust manifold under the hood of our car so it would cook while we drove out to a park to go hiking or camping? There's a video I saw of a guy who invented a microwave oven that fits under the dash. He said, back in 2000, that within 5 years every car will have one. He was wrong, of course. But how many cars have TV screens in them today.

For those of us who grew up a bit on the poor side, do you remember sticking a wire coat hanger on the rabbit ears of our TV antenna to get better reception?

gene