Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:15:34 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do I pre-wash fabric before making this slipcover?

Started by Pegasus2007, December 12, 2011, 05:30:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

We have 8 yards of white cotton to pre-wash and we've never done it before.  We have a test sample in the washing machine on gentle with no detergent as we speak but want to know the right way before we go any further.  Does anyone out there know what I should do? And how should I dry the fabric and prevent wrinkles?  Thanks again for all your help!  I'm sure glad you guys are out there!

gene

I suggest to my customers who ask about this issue that they contact the manufacturer of the fabric and get their recommendations.

The purpose of pre washing is to shrink the fabric first, and then make the slipcover. What is going to happen to the fabric when it is shrunk, is what you are ultimately asking.

My guess is that testing a section of fabric first is the best way to go. I don't know how you can lessen any wrinkles unless you use a fabric softener that is made for this purpose, and see if that works.

I think there are just too many types of weaving and additives put into the thread and onto the fabric and in the inks, etc., to have a general rule of thumb for furniture fabrics.

I also use a tissue welt cord because cotton welt cord can shrink when the customer washs the slipcover down the road. And jute welt cord can fall apart.

Good luck,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Pegasus2007

Thanks Gene.  We just dried our sample and ironed it.  It shrunk a lot.  We are now aware of the shrink-factor and will allow for that.  I'm cutting a bunch of individual pieces instead of trying to wash and dry a huge piece.  I think this is going to work fine.

bobbin

I always tell my customers to pre-shrink the fabric the way they are going to care for it in the time it's in use. 
I don't recommend pre-shrinking drapery or most upholstery fabric, however.  They are usually treated with a stain resistance and that will be eliminated by washing; it can also markedly change the "hand" of the fabric! 

People often think they need to wash their drapery panels.  I think it's a mistake; better to vacuum them regularly or hang them out on a line over night after giving them a good vacuuming or heavy shake.  I vacuum the upholstery here routinely and will occasionally use a spray cleaner on the grungey places. 

Whenever I make clothing for myself or the husband I always wash it in warm water and then I line dry it.  I don't have a dryer and have no plans to add one any time soon.  I also know that warm water and a line dry is commensurate with a cool setting in a dryer.  With wools I use a gentle cycle and COLD water.  When the fabrics are dry I generally steam press them to remove remaining wrinkles before doing the layout and cut.