Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 03:24:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

french seams

Started by OddBall13, December 11, 2011, 08:13:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OddBall13

Hey I,m doing a job working with french seams and am having troubles making them look right I have all the material backed with 1/2inch scrim foam.  should I have not backed all of the material with foam?

seamsperfect

Quote from: OddBall13 on December 11, 2011, 08:13:58 am
Hey I,m doing a job working with french seams and am having troubles making them look right I have all the material backed with 1/2inch scrim foam.  should I have not backed all of the material with foam?

You are going to have a tough time with 1/2" scrim.  Most I ever use is 1/4" but really never use any foam backing.   If you actually need 1/2 total make a foam cover for your seat then use the 1/4" on the material itself.  I have actually found it hard to do FS with a single needle with the 1/4 foam backing.  My double needle makes it easier.
Kevin

OddBall13

Gabe63

Are you going to glue the 1/2 backing? If so how about the french seam first then glue on the backing. I would think the seam would look sunk in even if the spacing is right on 1/2 foam if sewn through. 

stitcher_guy

I do french seams all the time using 1/2" scrim. Until a few years ago when the motor companies wimped out and started using 1/4" scrim, it was all 1/2" at least on the top. Just make the selvage a little longer so the foot sits up on the padded part and doesn't creep in towards the seam. I also have made a skinny foot (grind down a regular flat foot) that holds it's line very nicely.

Another cheat I do when the 1/2" is on the face and I'm sewing to either 1/4" scrim or unbacked material: Let the 1/2" lay flat after sewing the seam, and sew a double fell. Then just run a fake second seam on the flattened selvage and it sinks in the same and looks like an authentic french seam. I use this on industrial seat repairs that already have a french seam (like van seats, which really shouldn't have it in the first place).

OddBall13

thanks Ill remember that for the next time Im doing some