Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:27:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My first Club Chairs

Started by Ageorge, December 10, 2011, 05:48:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

Just wanted to post a pic of my first club chairs. Everyone helped me out so much on these and wanted to show the end result. I'm pretty happy with them considering they were my first ones :)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z348/heskett6/120.jpg

gene

Excellent work.

By the way, these are barrel back chairs, not club chairs. These chairs are much more difficult to reupholster than club chairs. (I'm just giving credit where credit is due.)

Getting the inside back/arms all in one piece can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.

It's a personal choice, but I like how you put the contrast welt cord only on the seat cushion and pillows.

Thanks for the pics.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on December 10, 2011, 06:05:51 am
By the way, these are barrel back chairs, not club chairs.

I agree. But I can't tell you how many times a customers has called me to come pick up her "Club chairs", only to find chairs just like that when I arrived.

Ageorge: If you can do those, you're already way ahead in the game! Nice job.
BTW I noticed in the background that someone stole your machine head :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Ageorge

Thanks for the info!! I just said the other day I'm going to start studying furniture and the industry better. I don't know the correct terms for lots of things! The designer wanted the contrast welt..so we did exactly what she said. And YES. Our poor machine was getting repaired. What a nightmare that was. Can't wait unitl we can afford an additional machine :)

ibstitchen

kodydog

December 12, 2011, 07:09:43 am #5 Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 03:07:30 pm by kodydog
Cool fabric. Two way match on a barrel chair is difficult. Good job. You'll learn more about correct terminology by just doing it. The decorator designer is going to love it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I agree! those look really sharp.  I'm not nuts about the contrast welt on the seat cushions, but I do a lot of things for customers that I wouldn't do if the item was going to be in my home!

Your customer is going to be very pleased, I'm sure. 

baileyuph

Nothing but compliments on your workmanship, you handled the pattern very well.

That red cording really comes out and is ready to bite, what is the room decor like?  It could really get noisy with more of this theme.

Yes, to the style being a barrel back.  Over the years the chairs have been referred to a more modern style barrel back, for example "contempory barrel back".

How many yards of material did it actually take, around 7 1/2 or 8, for both?

This really demonstrates you have an unusual understanding of the art and the mechanics of the business for your alledged limited experience.  Carry on!

Doye

Ageorge

DB-I'm not sure what the room decor is. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have done the contrast welt, but it didn't look so bad when it was all done. Thank you for the compliments--these were a huge challenge for me and at least one had to be redone (the inside back) b/c I was just not happy with it. Let's just say it took quite a while for me to get these right and perhaps a few choice words were thrown around.  We ended up probably using about 8 yards total. I do the upholstering and my mother (my business partner) :) does most of the sewing, so she helped a lot with these of course!