Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:15:06 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Welt management

Started by skegfish, December 08, 2011, 06:06:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skegfish

Problematic welting here, just cut all the parts for 3 large box cushions.
Sewed the welt to the top and then to the box side. My welt looks like it is under spring tension, all twisted and not straight at all.
Is this because I cut the welt from the length of the fabric and not on the bias?
Also not much fabric left to start over with new welt configuration. Thinking of just loosing the welt and box to the top and bottom.
Any ideas to save the day or night in this case?
Thanks all and HH........... jeff in PA

ibstitchen

Most likely that is your problem.  If you will cut across the bias 45 degrees you should not have that problem.  I always cut my welt strips across the bias. Depending on the size of the job I add two to three yards just for welt cord.

MinUph

Did you unwind the welt cord or pull it off the spool from one side?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

skegfish

Looks like it's a weltless box cushion for me. The hard foam welt cord ( possibly lifetime supply) came off the spool hanging from the ceiling and didn't seem to display problems until it was sewn onto the top. and got worse after the box side was applied.    Jeffin PA

JuneC

Foam core wants to kink like your garden hose if you don't untwist it after it's off the spool.  Pulling it from a hanging spool that unwinds should alleviate the problem but it can still happen.  What kind of fabric? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Unless your doing marine or auto work foam welt is not called for. It is extra fussy and takes some getting use to. Use soft cord and let the cord unroll as used.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

skegfish

wonder if i could use a chinese finger trap and pull soft welt cord thru the already constructed setup, thus saving the welt and the material. although it's still not cut on the bias! OR better to just build the cushion without a welt?
Jeffin PA

MinUph

I doubt that would work Jeff. You can cut the threads with a razor blade to save the fabric. It's OK to use the fabric not cut on the bias.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike8560

When I've found that to happen the material had off set meaning it had streached on side 
probly the foot streachi g onthe top and pulling on the bottom.
  If the material had straight lines marked s ros they would not line up st the stitch thus  spiraling

Horses

Could be pulling your welt too tight while sewing. Loosen up. Let the machine do the work.

skegfish

Thank for the replies, made them weltless and they look great in place.
I tried a few samples to figure what had happened and think my Adler may have been the culprit. With a few tests and with or without welt it was bunching the seams. Tried to lighten the tention on the foot and the thread but still bunched the relatively thin fabric.
Ended up putting the cushions with the trusty old 130, and it worked.
I'll post some pics as soon as I finish the rest of the room>
chow,jeffinPA