Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 10:33:30 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Topstitch question...

Started by Pegasus2007, December 03, 2011, 08:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

When topstitching a cushion, do you top stitch the top fabric or the boxing?  My wife always seems to want to stitch the boxing because she says it's easier to go around the corners but she thinks it really should be stitched on the top.  I like it on the top better because I think it creates a place for dirt and crumbs to get trapped if the stitching is on the boxing.  What's the right way?? Thanks!

bobbin

December 03, 2011, 08:50:46 am #1 Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:04:34 am by bobbin
I have always  been asked to topstitch the allowance of the top/bottom to the boxing.  I have been told that doing so avoids punching holes in the top/bottom and allowing a place for water to find its way inside quickly... but if the cushions aren't going to be subjected to water I don't see a lot of difference, frankly.  

If you trim the corner allowance correctly it is easy to topstitch to the top/bottom.  You simply have to be careful to make sure you fold the allowances properly when you're about to drive into the corner, and you have to make sure your topstitch is crisp and even as you turn the corner.  The proper way to trim is to cut a small "square" out of the corner on the top/bottom pieces; this eliminates bulk and allows you fold the remaining allowances easily and neatly.  Try it on a piece of paper.  Draw the cushion top and then add the seam allowance to your drawing.  Fold on the seam line and then neatly trim away the "extra" box folding on the seam line reveals.  Try it on a scrap and you'll see how neat a corner can be when topstitched!  (another handy tip from the world of classic tailoring!).

kodydog

I just did a restaurant booth. Stitched it just like bobbin said. You have to have strong hands and pull the top and boxing tight, away from each other. Then you shouldn't have problems with crumbs.

The original stitching was double top stitched but they didn't use tape. Guess it was for decoration or to keep the allowance from twisting.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

I know what your wife meens being easier mostyl I have pipping on a cushion if nit I do it as the old one was if it up to me I'd rather wee it on the top too
I've got a couple on a peer cat this week to do that has no topstitching or piping :)

bobbin

Hey Mike, maybe you could make Santa reveal himself a few more times before Christmas... I did laugh at that one...