Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:24:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Honda's all-new EV-STER - check out the interior color scheme

Started by TheHogRing, December 02, 2011, 09:24:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

Would love to know everyone's thoughts on Honda's all-new EV-STER, a rear-wheel drive electric roadster.

ESPECIALLY the interior - where the designers employed a unique color scheme... they've kept everything black except for the drivers seat. I think it really makes the cabin pop and draws attention to the driving experience.

What do you think?

Pictures of the EV-STER's interior: http://tinyurl.com/d4stzaa

SHHR

I don't know? ??? I get what they're trying to do in being different and promoting the whole "green" propaganda, but in a few years as the car starts getting regular wear and tear on it, I believe it'll look like nothing more than the original seat wore out and the owner replaced it with a junkard unit that didn't match but fits in place.
Kyle

bobbin

It's a clever way to fool the eye into telling the brain the available space is larger than it really is.  In interior design the concept is called, "trompe l'oeil" (french for "fool the eye").  It's clever and from a design standpoint allows a great deal of creativity.  

Personally, the design of the seats reminds me of medical equipment (think dentists, optometrists, and more specialized pieces for intimate examinations) but I tend to gravitate to more luxurious, plush interiors anyway (which would look silly in such limited space), so I my impression may be unfair.   ::)

TheHogRing

Great point Kyle. I hadn't thought that far into the future to picture how the worn upholstery would look. You're right, the risk is that it'll seem like a junkyard seat was placed in the cabin. That would stink.

Bobbin, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the French term for the design concept, nor the practical purpose for it. You're right it makes the cabin appear much more spacious than it really is. I'm also partial to more plush interiors, but as you pointed out, that might look a little silly in a car this small. Then again, the Nissan 370Z isn't too much bigger and is a lot more luxurious.

baileyuph

The program supporting the car's production is primarily centered around economy, reliability, and cost; logically thinking.  Otherwise no one would want this car if it didn't first meet those primary parameters. 

It comes off too cramped and too spartan and too much so to expect design to overshadow those negatives.

In short the car will not likely appeal to a mature market.

Doyle

TheHogRing

DB - then how would you explain the Toyota Prius and Mini Cooper which share the same selling points and sell very well? The Prius and the Cooper are especially geared toward mature markets, because they're out of the price range of teenage drivers.

baileyuph

The cooper and the prius compared to this car is apples and oranges.  Check it out, the Mini Cooper is actually larger than ever this year and is not electric.  Needles to reiterate the sophistication of both the cars, this car is far from their league.

Doyle

Vtool

I worked on a new mini 2 seater convertible last week. I like it better than the other models. this new honda looks like a modern Honda del sol. the seat color difference is unique. has anyone noticed how all new foreign sedans , have alot of styrofoam in bottoms and rear wings ? also airbags in rear wings in new camary's.  Vtool

TheHogRing

Quote from: DB on December 04, 2011, 10:59:44 am
The cooper and the prius compared to this car is apples and oranges.  Check it out, the Mini Cooper is actually larger than ever this year and is not electric.  Needles to reiterate the sophistication of both the cars, this car is far from their league.

Yes apples to oranges in terms of engineering - agreed. But they are marketed to the same crowd, which is what I meant. Besides, the Mini Cooper only recently became bigger. It built its fame on its smaller, compact size.

Then again, you also have the Smart ForTwo which is even smaller than the EV-STER, marketed to the same crowd, and selling like hot cakes.