Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 10:23:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Update / Report on Bobbin Winder

Started by Mojo, November 28, 2011, 05:41:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I got my new bobbin winder machine and had a chance to sit down and wind some bobbins yesterday ( While watching TV ).

The TV idea was a waste of time. I was so busy loading bobbins that I missed most of the show. This machine winds bobbins fast. Real fast. Like 10 seconds fast. I was putting them on and pulling them off in very short order. The quality of each bobbin was very good - nice and tight and uniform across the bobbin opening. The tension system worked great.

I didn't get out a stop watch but I am sure the entire winding process once the thread was started was not over 10 seconds. The motor is a high RPM motor and is very fast. I have a bobbin rack that has 15 spots for bobbins per level. I wound two levels in about 15 minutes.

This is very similar to the one I have and this is a great price. I paid less for mine ( $ 79.00 ) but this one is still $ 75 less then the retail price. They do not come up on E-Bay very often: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bobbin-winder-Commercial-Embroidery-Machine-Type-/220813956395?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336989952b#ht_500wt_1180

Video on how this machine works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p74tjuctEBQ

I love this thing. It was one of my better purchases and will save wear and tear on my machine. I typically sit down and wind bobbins once every few months so I do not have to screw with them while I am sewing. I pick a time when I am slow and am bored.

So from now on the bobbin winding parties are going to be over before they have a chance to get started. :) Guess that will give us more time to eat and drink and enjoy the Hooters girls. :)

Chris

jojo

So, why don't you just wind bobbins as you sew like everyone else?  :P

Mojo

I think the main reason why is I hate to have to stop, grab a full bobbin, then load an empty one and then start sewing again.

I change out bobbins so fast but that stopping and getting an empty bobbin set up to wind a new one is a pain in the rear end for me.

I do have to say that the one thing I love about my Chandler is that if I run out of bobbin thread I stop. Slap a new one in, reverse and go. I do not have to stop, throw in a new bobbin, move the material and bring the bobbin thread up to the top of the machine. That feature is awesome.

Which reminds me. I have been going to ask all of you, do all machines have this feature on them or just select ones ? I try and not run out of bobbin thread and check my bobbin before do long runs. if it is near empty or looks like it wont make it then I change it out then and there. But when I do run out it is nice to just throw a new one in, back tack and go.

How do ya'll handle the bobbin thread ? What is your procedure ? I know most wind as they go but do you check your bobbin before doing long runs or do you just sew till you run out ?

Chris

Chris

jojo

Unless I'm topstitching, I just sew till I run out. But somebody here, I think it was Darren, said to listen for the near empty bobbin to make a bit of noise. He's totally right. I hadn't noticed it before, but just before the bobbin runs out, it makes a slight clanging noise.  Now when I hear that, I stop and reload, and no extra holes in the vinyl! Thanks Darren!

Mojo

Yes it was Darren who said that JoJo.

I thought that maybe he fell into a freezing lake or maybe he had to much Seagrams. But I started paying attention and by gosh the old guy was right. It will start making a clicking, ticking sound just before it runs out. My problem is that I really have to pay close attention to it and concentrate on the sound in order to hear it. My hearing sucks. :)

Maybe I can train one of my dogs to listen for that sound and bark when they hear it. :)

Do you check your bobbin thread before starting a long run ?

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

November 28, 2011, 11:33:43 am #5 Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:41:08 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: Mojo on November 28, 2011, 05:41:45 am
Video on how this machine works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p74tjuctEBQ

We have our own in house bobbin winder we use here.  Not as pretty as this one but we are not selling it retial and it's for our own use.

I KNOW for if I were to make a bobbin winder like this someone would be able to pick it apart, but...

I don't understand they would use an electronic sensor as the standard bobbin winder stop works perfectly fine, is as reliable as anything I've ever seen, and allows you to remove the bobbin after the bobbin winder stops; with the electroic sensor, you have to disengage the bobbin winder manually after it stops.    

Mike8560

F in starting a topstitched in vinyl or I'm sewing a top stiched seam and I'll be in thebmiddle of a big canvas I'll check thenbobbin every time first   Other wise I usualy just run out. And somtime I hear thebsound others I've sewn 6' and see this big trail of thread on my table I don't Sind as I go as you I don't like witty about that as I'm sewing so I use mostly prewounds I seem to get more mileage out of a prewound then one I wind.  And my machinf I have to pull the bobbin thread up with a little pointer I Have loading

Mojo

Greg:

I was wondering the same thing. Those regular setups that go on our sewing machines are cheap. I think I have seen a few for less then $ 10 on E-Slay.

I took a look at the setup and if that sensor switch ever goes I will order a standard machine bobbin winding assembly and use that.

Have you ever carried these winders before ? I bought one two years ago and it was a cheap setup and didn't work. That was a waste of $ 35 bucks. :)

Maybe you could start carrying them and then hold a bobbin winding party and sell them there. Of course if there are no Hooters girls there I am not attending. :)

Chris

jim fuchs

jim fuchs

Toledo Mach. Sales

We used to make them up like that & used a home machine foot pedal to control the speed.
Bob
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

Quote from: Toledo Mach. Sales on November 29, 2011, 04:54:16 am
We used to make them up like that & used a home machine foot pedal to control the speed.
Bob

I was thinking of doing the same thing Bob but didn't want to screw with it so I bought this one. I should have had you and Bobby make me one. I could have sent you my Tuffsew to use as parts. :)

Chris

Toledo Mach. Sales

Yeah,it is a PITA to make them & it wouldn't look as nice as the one you got.
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

NDAV8R

Hi Gang:
   Here is yet another Bobbin Winder.  This one I made about 6 years ago from recycling parts off of an old sewing machine.  The winder/bobbin holder you can get off of the internet.  I simply bolted the motor and winder to an aluminum plate, added the spindles for large and small thread spools and on the winder I found a large thick yellow Oring at a surplus supply store. That is what the motor drives.  The light that was on the old sewing machine before lets me know when its on. Man, it works great and I can wind wide open with incredibily speed.
   Yes, I have wound "on the sew" before, but when I am down to one spool color I prewind a bunch.

Gale.

Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!