Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 12:24:55 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help! Cushion is wrinkled!

Started by Pegasus2007, November 19, 2011, 02:30:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

Hello everyone!  We just made a seat cushion that is 106" x 25" x 5" with a coarse weave linen fabric provided by the customer.  It is very wrinkled from the fabric being handled during construction and it looks very bad!  We have never used this kind of fabric and never experienced wrinkles like these before.  I tried ironing them out with the fabric on the foam but wasn't able to get them out.  I'm nervous about ruining the fabric.  Do you think I'll be able to get them out by ironing with the fabric off the foam?  Should I invest in a steamer?  This is a rush job that they need by Monday!  Yikes!  Any ideas?  Thanks!  I tried putting water in the iron and I ended up with a water spot on it! I hate it when things like this happen!  Thanks, Russell.

gene

November 19, 2011, 02:39:37 pm #1 Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 02:40:12 pm by gene
A pic would be helpful. You say the wrinkles are the result of handling the fabric. If that is the case, steam may very easily get them out.

I use steam a lot. Test a scrap of fabric first. My big steam generator is an iron I bought from Wal Mart for about $15.00. It has an automatic shut off and the main feature is that I can steam with the iron in a vertical position.

And yes, I too do need to make sure water does not spill out the iron onto the fabric.

Do you have the foam covered with poly batting? If not, I think you should and this may help with the wrinkling.

I hope it's a 'steam' issue and not a sewing issue.

Good luck.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

I don't think steaming or ironing is going to help the wrinkling.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I think coarse/loose weave fabrics are difficult, esp. when you use a walking foot machine, which naturally feeds the fabric under the needle by means of the needle bar and the feed dogs. 

If the cushion is corded I'd be willing to bet the problem arose in the application of the cording to the top and bottom.  It's really easy to pull the pieces out of shape at this step.  Generally, once the pieces are corded they are stabilized and putting the boxing on isn't really a problem.

Look carefully at the cording and see if that isn't wavey or uneven.  If it is, there's your problem.  Remove it and reapply, trying not to pull the pieces.  I would check the thread tension and loosen it up, trying some stitch samples on the bias of some scrap fabric.  Oftentimes a longer stitch will help you, too. 

Hope this helps. 

sofadoc

Maybe I'm reading your problem a little different from Gene and Bobbin. Are the wrinkles more like puckers along the corded seams? Or are they ordinary wrinkles out in the middle of the cushion? If they are out in the middle, steaming should help. You could always try one from Wally World over the weekend, and return it if it doesn't work.
If they ARE puckers along the seams, then the advice that Gene and Bobbin gave should help.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Pegasus2007

They are wrinkles out in the middle.  There is no cording.  It is a 3" thick foam cushion double-wrapped with 3/4 polyester batting.  I'm not talking about puckers.  It's similar to "crocking" and is everywhere.  I can go to Walmart tomorrow and buy a steamer and try that.

MinUph

A trick I've used many times is take white sheet material. Pillow case or such. Wet this really wet but not dripping and lay it on the piece then iron this with a hot iron. It tends to do more than and iron or steam alone. But be sure to always use a test scrap first.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Crocking? Had to look that one up.

Crocking is simply the transfer of color from a fabric onto another white test fabric. The more color is transferred, the more the fabric "crocks". The preferred testing will be done by AATCC Test Method 8, which is linear crocking. The Rotary Method, AATCC Test Method 116 will be used if necessary for patterns and stripes.

Sounds like the fabric is flawed or the die is not set.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

Paul, you read my mind.  I have watched many times while my mom "sprinkled" the laundry, rolled it up, then ironed (back before irons had any kind of steam feature.  The use of an ironing cloth will greatly reduce the creases.  (Sprinkling was the dampening of fabric using a spray bottle).  When I have to iron a tablecloth or something stubborn today, I still use this method.  

Russell, do exactly as Paul suggests - take a thin cotton fabric (maybe a handkerchief), wet it thoroughly, wring it out, spread it over the linen, and press with a medium hot iron.  Move the wet fabric around.  When it's dry, wet it again, repeat.   I've always done this to "set" a seam on clothing.  It works a treat on wool suits.  

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Pegasus2007

The fabric looked fine when it came off the roll.  It just got all crinkley during the sewing process.  I like the idea of a damp rag but I'm very nervous about getting water stains on it.  I guess if I ring it out real well it might be safe.  I was trying to iron it ON the foam because I thought if I ironed it first and then put it back on the foam, it would just be wrinkly again.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe I should try that (with the damp pillowcase that is).

Pegasus2007

Okay June.  I'll try this in the morning.  Sounds like a safe thing to try.  I sure appreciate everyone's help!  WE moved our shop from Florida to Maine in July and we are finding that there is a need for more residential work than boat work (time of year I guess).  We have been doing a lot of slipcovers, curtains and pillows.  I may need your advice again real soon!

sofadoc

November 19, 2011, 04:49:28 pm #10 Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:52:09 pm by sofadoc
There's also this stuff:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Adhesives_and_Sprays/Miscellaneous/Spring_Mist/index.html
A fine mist over the entire cushion works best (less chance of leaving a ring on light colored fabrics). Brush with a small whisk broom after applying.
Wal-Mart has a similar product called Downey Wrinkle Release
It's on the same shelf as fabric softener.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Russel certisn colors of sunbrella. As you sew it Nd crimps it on the table to get it under rhebneedle  end up with wrinkle marks. You know the cadet grey  aquamarine.  I had some Frey tbs bad thees wrinkle marks and out thenpieces in the washer and they dissapeered. Sound like pauls trick will work kids what mine did with the water only more extreem

MinUph

Leave the cushion filled when you press it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Pegasus2007

okay.  Will do!  Thanks!  I'll let everyone know how it went!

Mike8560

Tussle your in rockland right? I was just wat big a new show on tv antique dealer who winter I. Cape coral fl over my way and summer in rockland   I never made it  last wells when I was in new England but it looks  real nice !   Cold but nice  ;)