Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 01:30:09 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Seat Question(s)

Started by jojo, November 14, 2011, 02:42:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

I've done tons of boat seats over the years, and all the oem seats I've ever disassembled have flannel backed vinyl, yet I've never seen flannel backed marine vinyl available on the market...does anyone know why? I'm thinking that the backing is more forgiving, especially around curves / bolsters.
Another question: Wondering how many of you routinely use sew foam when making new boat seat covers?
Thanks for you input!

DBR1957

Flannel backed, or fleece backed as I like to call it, should be readily available.
I shy away from it if I can. Very thin layer of vinyl and it tends to get stiff and
brittle with age.

It does have one benefit. If the cover has some puckers or wrinkles you can shove
a steamer wand under it and it will smooth out pretty fast.

I've used sew foam quite a bit. If the original skin had it and you don't use it on
the new skins the difference is obvious.

Mike8560

It's got to be prety inexpensive inhad a dealer who new boat came with the Biminis wrapped in it so I got s big hunk once and covers my table for making windows.  I've found ona multiple colored seat. It's usual the fleece backd that will crack and fail. I don't see much sf it used ex elf for the odd dolor stripe as I said.   Bur as you day I don't see it in any book really   I would offer it myself and have it fail in a few gears uncovered in the Florida sin here. 

kodydog

Quote from: DBR1957 on November 14, 2011, 02:54:03 pm
Flannel backed, or fleece backed as I like to call it, should be readily available.
I shy away from it if I can. Very thin layer of vinyl and it tends to get stiff and
brittle with age.

Same goes for furniture. It feels great to the hand and is easier to work with but doesn't last.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html