Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 06:11:26 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Hate Zippers

Started by Mojo, November 07, 2011, 06:19:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I just finished installing two - 48 " zippers on a 5th wheel enclosure I did for a customer using Tuff Stuff. While I know zippers are easy to install, I still hate them. For some reason they give me fits. I think the problem is I do not do enough of them to get good at it.

I imagine most of you just breeze right through them ? Especially you marine people. But when your doing just a few a year it gets to be a headache.

Chris

bobbin

Nah, zippers can be a real pain, Mojo.  I use 1/4" double stick tape when I'm sewing long zippers in place, esp. if it's on something that is bulky and can be difficult to manoeuver on the table and under the needle.  If the zipper is to join two panels (on a screen enclosure, for example) I will often make the registration marks that allow me to line up the other half of the zipper before I stick the first side down. 

I am so used to working on Sunbrella and heavier fabrics now that I will frequently have a little trouble with lighter weight goods.  It's easy to pull the zipper chain and end up with a roll-y zipper. 

Mike8560

how do you attach the canvas to the tv mojo I've done a few with turn uttons so they are loved on I suppose  PVC track would be cool

DBR1957

What exactly is the problem you are having with them?

Mojo

The problem I have is controlling the material as I sew. It gets to be a pain when your sewing zippers on a 60 inch x 20 ft piece of tuff stuff. It is very heavy material. I roll it into two sections. One section goes under the arm and the other to the left side of the arm.

Mike:

I am using stainless snaps. I have never used the turn button type. I may have to try it.

Bobbin:

Thanks for that tip. Next zipper I will try the tape. :)

Chris

bobbin

The tape sticks better on some fabrics than on others.  Sunbrella and the other acrylics don't hold quite so well, but well enough to make the job a lot easier.  An other trick you can use is to trace along the edge of the zipper tape with an eradicable white pencil and give yourself some registration points along the length of the zipper in case it comes unstuck.   

I recently had to replace zippers on an enclosure for a restaurant (what a piece of junk), the panels were 12' tall and the zippers just a bit shorter.  I used tape and the pencil trick.  Easy-peasy.  Good luck. 

Blue

I tape and staple when ever possable and on both pieces then unzip them enough to get started then zip them closed when ever possable . Its a Little more work but at least I know that they come out even . Oh and think backwards helps  :) .

JuneC

I use registration marks every 6 to 8 inches - then I know if I need to stretch the fabric or the zip tape to make it work out.  I don't like using tape.  It never holds for me.  And if you're doing the zip in mesh, tape will not work as well as if you're using a woven like Recacril. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

DBR1957

Mojo - Mark at least one edge of the zipper then tape both sides down. Open the
teeth and cut down the center. Sew the zipper to each piece separately. This way
you only have to handle a portion of the fabric at a time and the material stays to
the outside of the needle. When finished sewing just join the zipper back together.
Be sure to use a zipper foot. It helps to go around the start block and keep off the
teeth,

If the piece you're working on is to be sewn to something else always sew the
zipper first before any seams.

I've worked with Tuff Stuff quite a bit and just finished going through 35 yards of
PVC18. I know what you're dealing with.

Mojo

Quote from: DBR1957 on November 08, 2011, 02:31:30 pm
Mojo - Mark at least one edge of the zipper then tape both sides down. Open the
teeth and cut down the center. Sew the zipper to each piece separately. This way
you only have to handle a portion of the fabric at a time and the material stays to
the outside of the needle. When finished sewing just join the zipper back together.
Be sure to use a zipper foot. It helps to go around the start block and keep off the
teeth,

If the piece you're working on is to be sewn to something else always sew the
zipper first before any seams.

I've worked with Tuff Stuff quite a bit and just finished going through 35 yards of
PVC18. I know what you're dealing with.

Thanks for the tips. I will try that next time. That Tuff Stuff is heavy as heck. 35 yards will give you a hernia carrying that around. It is awesome material though and is rugged as heck.

Thanks again for the input everyone,

Chris