Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 06:12:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What are these windshield "plugs" for snap studs?

Started by JuneC, November 03, 2011, 03:51:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

And where might I get them?  Manart has never heard of them before.

As you see here, the slot has no widened point or open end, so these plugs just pop in, and the expansion caused by the screw just holds them in place.

Really great idea as it isolates the aluminum tubing from the steel of the snap stud and prevents electrolysis from making the powdercoat bubble up.  I just need more...  These were delivered on the boat - a 2006 Proline walkaround.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Eric

Taylor made windows, I believe has them. Possibly trivantage.
Eric

regalman190

Hi June....I just finished an enclosure on a  Sea Ray and I had to use those. There called Vadney Clips. Manart does have them. Page 28 in their catalog. That's where I bought mine. I had to alter mine though because they were to long. Easy to do. Also, I believe Great Lakes Boat Tops has them. They make stock canvas for a lot of boat manufacturers.

Joe
Regal Canvas

regalman190

One more thing.

These clips are used a lot as a retro fit because regular windshield clips don't fit, and there isn't enough room on the frame to drill and install studs. And you don't risk drilling into the glass.
Regal Canvas

JuneC

Thanks guys!  That's very helpful.  I've never seen these before.  When I called Ron Hirsch (Manart/Hirsch) maybe I didn't describe them correctly.  He had no idea what they were.  I'll call him today to tell him what I was talking about. 

June

W. C. Fields

DBR1957

Those clips were originally made to retrofit snaps on SeaRay windshield frames
that had the rubber insert that pushed into the frame channel. There were so
many complaints these were developed. Problem is different frame extrusions
were used and not all of them had the same depth of channel.

The part # is TWC for Taylor Windshield clip. The depth of the channel needs
to be 7/16" for these to work as intended.

They have come out with a new one with Part# NWN for Nylon Windshield Nut.

Both are on page 28 of the catalog

http://www.manart-hirsch.com/manart_hirsch_catalog/

Mike8560

Dbr beat ne j first seen them on sea rays after they got rid if that lousey rubbber. Starcraft also had the insert only a different depth. I ran across a ski boat that the rubrail was fit with a slot for them also. For mooring covers.  Dumb idea on a rubrail.   Snaps

Darren Henry

Not to jack the thread ; but in June's last photo you see the snap on the boat. We've often discussed the need / or lack of using stainless. I'm smack dab in the middle of southern Canada so no salt water etc for a few thousand miles. I've never seen a  snap that nasty. Is that "normal" for you in those environments?

Peppy; you get that down on the "lakes"?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Grebo

November 07, 2011, 05:32:56 am #8 Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:37:48 am by Grebo
Quote from: Darren Henry on November 06, 2011, 10:03:03 am
Not to jack the thread ; but in June's last photo you see the snap on the boat. We've often discussed the need / or lack of using stainless. I'm smack dab in the middle of southern Canada so no salt water etc for a few thousand miles. I've never seen a  snap that nasty. Is that "normal" for you in those environments?

That doesn't look like rust to me, just a bit of salt.  ::)
Corrosion usually happens when some one has used just any old screw to put them in, not with the complete pre formed one's. With the nickel plate or SS. Or as June said galvanic reaction.

Suzi

kodydog

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 06, 2011, 10:03:03 am
Not to jack the thread ; but in June's last photo you see the snap on the boat. We've often discussed the need / or lack of using stainless. I'm smack dab in the middle of southern Canada so no salt water etc for a few thousand miles. I've never seen a  snap that nasty. Is that "normal" for you in those environments?

I don't know about snaps or fittings but if you don't thoroughly rinse your fishing pole and tackle, the next time you pick it up, it will have corrosion or rust on it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

DBR1957

I had a customer bring me a big Whaler once for enclosure repairs. There was at
least a 1/8" thick crust of salt between the windshield frame and enclosure panels.
washed it off and hit the snap studs and sockets with some Boshield T-9 and they
worked like new.

Blue

Here is what I Google  http://www.northstarproductsinc.com/products/detail.asp?action=detail&CategoryID=%7B746F16B1-2D17-4174-9CE2-1CA2F0A3E353%7D&LineID=%7B49F9B04F-DA32-4CE2-9B0E-26B95732E130%7D&ProductID=%7B0E90D46C-98BB-4C88-A942-73CC45FAE32D%7D

DBR1957

Good find but notice it says for "Water Bonnet" brand windshields which may or
may not work with "Taylormade" windshield frames.

Might get some just to have around but at $1.90 ea. I'll look for the manufacturer.

JuneC

Quote from: DBR1957 on November 08, 2011, 02:35:11 pm
Might get some just to have around but at $1.90 ea. I'll look for the manufacturer.

Say what??!!   I just paid $13 and change for a box of 100 from Manart. 

June

W. C. Fields