Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 08:28:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

table ?

Started by Vtool, October 23, 2011, 06:28:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vtool

I have had a great week for me!!!! I have tracked down a trimmer who i worked with years back. after talking with him. I approached him with a idea. let me learn from him for no labor fee. he agreed. now I can learn more about sewing and also I get to work on older classic cars. this is two areas that will further my goal of learning this trade. also will learn about convertible tops. also I was having problems with understanding how to thread, load bobbins correctly and stitch width adjustment. that's no longer a problem. he uses a LU-563 also. I'm so upbeat and feel my life is going in the right direction.after explaining to him that I have a servo on my table. he stated that learning on a clutch motor is crucial. the reason. what if at a later time. I go to work in a shop that uses clutch motors. what would i do ? my solution is to purchase a table without motor. I then could attach my clutch motor to stand and have both setups. I love my servo, thanks a million Greg. but at a later time need to get familiar with using a clutch motor. my question is in purchasing stand minus clutch motor. how to determine right table for my LU-563. I searched ebay and not sure which table accepts my machine. I figured someone here has that answer. thanks for your time and have a great day.
                                                                Vtool

sofadoc

Personally, I don't think that there would be a tremendous adjustment period in going from servo to clutch. Having said that, I have 2 machines set up close to each other. One was servo, the other clutch. I kept forgetting which one I was using, and sewing when I didn't want to. I finally had to order a servo for the 2nd machine. So going back and forth from servo to clutch all day can be confusing. But if the shop is all clutch, I think that you will adapt quickly.

As for a motorless table, you might fare just as well to find a used machine on craigslist, and buy the whole rig. The cut-outs are the same on all the old machines. You might have to change (or remove) the drip pan. And you might have to replace the belt, and knee lift. You should call Gregg for a price on a table.

As for the idea of working for free in order to learn....be careful. I've seen this done many times with mixed results. Sometimes it works out just fine. But I've heard of cases where either the teacher loses patience, or the student starts feeling like he's being used as slave labor.
But you sound like you have a really upbeat attitude, so I am optimistic about your situation.
Good luck.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Vtool

thanks Sofadoc on the table info. as for working for free. I'm with someone who I respect highly. not for his skills, but for the way he carries himself. this guy has done more for others and leads by example. I'm not only learning trim skills. I'm also learning how to deal with stress and I feel become a better person. I feel very lucky and optimistic. also getting to work with older cars is cool. working on newer model vehicles can be boring at times. I don't feel challenged, like being on a assembly line.

Gabe63

If you already have a complete machine why not just get a clutch motor and use your table? Unless yours is strange they use the same holes. It took me about 20 minutes to change from my clutch motor to servo motor, no new holes in the table. Just make sure you get a 1725rpm motor and not a 3450rpm motor. 

sofadoc

Quote from: Gabe63 on October 25, 2011, 09:01:19 am
If you already have a complete machine why not just get a clutch motor and use your table? Unless yours is strange they use the same holes. It took me about 20 minutes to change from my clutch motor to servo motor, no new holes in the table.

He doesn't want to replace his servo with a clutch. He wants to be able to move his head from a servo table to a clutch table so he can acclimate himself to a clutch motor should the need arise. Heads are much more easily swapped back and forth than motors.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban