Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:22:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

ANTI GRAVITY RECLINER???? PHOTOS NOW POSTED!!

Started by wind_rose_2, October 22, 2011, 10:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fingers

I always called em Astro chairs cause they looked like they came right out of a Jetsons cartoon.
An semi-interesting tidbit about the design......a Fla based blood donation service uses these loungers for the donors. They liked the style so much that a local guy here in my town reproduces them for the donor company.

wind_rose_2

sofadoc

Wow! Even I didn't remember that he made it into the VCR age! I'll bet they were all out of THOSE too!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

wind_rose_2

sofadoc

Pretty cool. But I don't remember any of 'em originally having Pli-grip.

Mike8560

If your body weight Re lines it I wonder how you get up?
Dave are you in Florida  that would explain the cold air and rain last week. ;)

gene

October 23, 2011, 06:08:55 pm #21 Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 06:11:38 pm by gene
Dave,

I did one of those a year of so ago. I believe, if it's the same thing, and I think it is, that you will find everything you need to know about how to dismantle it once you take off the cambric, or what ever the bottom fabric is.

Also, there's a lever that locks it in place so you can easily get up and on it.

Once you do that, you will see the rollers up inside the bottom and how they connect the top and bottom pieces together.

I found that it was not very difficult to reupholster.

Good luck.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

wind_rose_2

Mike;
You know that when the weather in Florida gets cold l am in Florida :P
I was hoping to get over to see you and do a sunset at a tiki bar with you..see if you can stop work for a few hrs and enjoy life!
Dave

wind_rose_2

Gene;
I have not immediate plans to recover it at this time though this site that June posted http://www.bondandbowery.com/printitem.php?itemid=3850
has me thinking....with a couple of easy design changes and some complementary colors it may be profitable.
As far as getting in and out of the lounge...there may be a spring that will "pull " the lounge back to the starting position that has become unconnected because once you are in the chair and release the lever thats it...it stays in that position untill you either get up and re position it or someone pushes it up for you.
I guess in all the commercials, that is why you never see that little ole lady / man getting out of the thing..it is as hard as getting out of a hammock...which is also very comfortable but cannot be reupholstered ;D
Dave

sofadoc

Quote from: wind_rose_2 on October 24, 2011, 04:51:44 am
I guess in all the commercials, that is why you never see that little ole lady / man getting out of the thing

Maybe the old lady should've had one of those medic alert gadgets.
HELP, I'M IN ART'S CHAIR, AND I CAN'T GET OUT!!

wind_rose_2

Mike8560

Quote from: wind_rose_2 on October 24, 2011, 04:41:32 am
Mike;
You know that when the weather in Florida gets cold l am in Florida :P
I was hoping to get over to see you and do a sunset at a tiki bar with you..see if you can stop work for a few hrs and enjoy life!
Dave

we got all winter Dave. 
I'm not going anywhere   My house it not far from were my shop  was  when we met. 

kodydog

October 26, 2011, 06:42:58 pm #27 Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:56:57 am by kodydog
That is so cool. About a year ago I picked up a retro stationary lounge that looks a lot like your recliner. I wanted to go with the Jetsons look and do it in black vinyl with horizontal channels from the foot to the head. The wife nixed that idea. she wants something more classy. Go figure. The padding was shot and most of the springs were broken. I'm going to try to get it done, in her fabric, by December. I'll post some pics.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html