Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:18:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Getting busy

Started by Mike8560, October 25, 2011, 11:17:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

I've got a few smaller jobs I've got to get out and start. Got some seat waiting to be picked up and I just got the go ahead on to complete interiors today.

Mojo

I am about a week behind at the moment. I just turned down a job today. An older couple bought a couch 2 years ago and the store told them it was leather. Turned out to be vinyl and was separating from its backing and flaking off on one of the cushions. I was going to take the job and pass it on to Paul ( Min Uph ) but they said the manufacturer went out of business. The vinyl was a weird embossed pattern and would be hard to match up. So I passed for me and Paul both as I am sure Paul didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to track down vinyl for the job.

I am sure things are going to start getting real busy because the RV'ers are hitting Florida. Still doing chemo and just trying to maintain and hide out while watching my work level. I do not have thee stamina to sew 7 days a week like I was a few months ago.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on October 25, 2011, 05:18:07 pm
An older couple bought a couch 2 years ago and the store told them it was leather.

It's funny how furniture stores can throw that word "leather" around so loosely. If I tried to pass off some crappy vinyl as leather, they'd be back in a "New York minute" with 14 lawyers.
Take care of yourself Chris. Don't let the customers pressure you into doing more than you feel like doing.
Remember, they can kill ya, but they can't eat ya. ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Peaking of customer pressure. I contracted a set of covers on a decknoat a couple weeks ago after I priced the job  back in the spring. He finnaly called me to say he wanted to do it now   So ok o sign him up nuwfter all the rain last week I want a le to get ou to pattern it as planned and have other work that was ahead of it also to to first. Any he called to day to see whAt's up. I can only do one at a time.  Once they give you a deposite and don't see you in there back yard they think they own your time.
Take it easy chris. And work as tour own pace allows.

kodydog

Quote from: Mojo on October 25, 2011, 05:18:07 pm
Turned out to be vinyl and was separating from its backing and flaking off on one of the cushions.
Chris

About six months ago I did a job for a young couple who bought a matching vinyl sofa and chair from a discount furniture chain. The sofa (they never used) looked like new. The vinyl on the chair was separating from the backing. It was only a year old. When they bought the furniture the store talked them into buying a worthless insurance policy. I felt sorry for them because they both worked hard for a living and didn't have a lot of money. I found a matching black vinyl and recovered the cushion and arms. They were thrilled, payed with their own money. They never got a cent from the insurance.

We started getting busy last November and never looked back. Just entered a December antique show in St Augustine. And we just got our first job from the new yellow Pages that came out last month also in St Augustine.

You take care of yourself Mojo Chris. I miss your wit and wisdom.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I'm as busy as ever. But I don't guess I can say that for everyone around here.
I just bought out the tools/supplies of 2 shops last week. It's the 3rd shop this year, and the 8th shop in the last 5 or 6 years.
I'm not talking about big shops, just "mom & pop", and one-man shops.
I picked up a lot of nice bargains. I told them both that they could fare far better selling their stuff on craigslist, but they preferred to sell to me for a fraction of what they could've got. Not too terribly bright, I guess (maybe that's why their business failed).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

One of the boats was a maxim just removed te upholstery what a pia.  All the blsterter side panel and seat backs.   A rear lounge two side panels by rye buckets and the bow seat backs where fit onto clips the they decided stthe factory to screw then down tight from thbackside vefor he fit the gull and deck.
I had to se a prybar on all of them to get them off and stll one hole for my hand a access a nut gilding s grab handle on.   After Lucy I'm onto the hrrcsne deck boat seat removal.

Mike8560

Ya well the hurricane was simple I was in and out in just about 10 mins