Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:16:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Handy tool

Started by sofadoc, October 19, 2011, 03:07:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Yet another local upholsterer gave it up, and sold me a bunch of their stuff.
Among the tools, was an Osborne caster socket removal tool.
When the sleeves get worn out, they will no longer grab the stem of the caster. This is why many casters fall out when you lift the chair.
You have to remove and replace the sleeve, or at least remove, and re-crimp it. This tool makes it easy to remove the sleeve without digging into the wood around it.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

October 19, 2011, 04:04:29 pm #1 Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:05:33 pm by kodydog
Sofadoc you have got to be the king of unique tools. That has my vote for cool tool of the year.  :D

Thanks for the video.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

Kool!  That actually looks like one of those PVC pipe extraction tools you can get at the hardware store to extract the stem of broken-off sprinkler heads. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Very cool. It reminds me of a dent puller you use when doing body work on cars.

Chris

gene

Can you get corks out of wine bottles? Or how about pits out of olives?

When you pull the sleeve out, you are pulling up a weight and that weight hits the top lip of the shaft and that causes enough force to remove the sleeve.

I had thought about this idea, in reverse, for pulling staples. The tip of the shaft would go under the staple. You would slide a weight forward, down the front of the shaft, and it would cause the tip of the shaft to go under the staple. I wonder if a tool like this would be easier and faster than a mallet and staple puller?

Thanks for the video.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

October 20, 2011, 06:46:30 am #5 Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:53:08 am by kodydog
Quote from: gene on October 20, 2011, 05:10:20 am
I had thought about this idea, in reverse, for pulling staples. The tip of the shaft would go under the staple. You would slide a weight forward, down the front of the shaft, and it would cause the tip of the shaft to go under the staple. I wonder if a tool like this would be easier and faster than a mallet and staple puller?
gene

Neat idea Gene. Thinking outside the box. How about after you get the tool under the staple you force the weight back up to remove it. I'll bet with a little practice you could get pretty fast with it. Save ware and tare on the hands. How about a pneumatic version? Push the trigger it forces the tool under the staple, release the trigger it pulls it out. All by forcing a weight down and up a shaft. Sort of what a plunger does in a staple gun.

byhammerandhand

Gene,

My dad used to have a tool like this.  I can remember using it to pull nails out of studs and such around the farm.  A few years ago, a friend of mine was looking for something to pull up deck boards and I told him about it.   Long story short, I borrowed it from my dad, lent it to my friend, who ended up buying it from my dad.    Still available: http://www.doitbest.com/Nail+pullers-Cooper+Tools-model-56-doitbest-sku-302265.dib

It's not obvious maybe, the but the center section telescopes.  You bang it down under the head of the nail, then if you need extra leverage, slide it back out to lever out the nail.

All in all, it reminds me of a joke about a camel and two bricks.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

BigJohn

Keith:
     I own a nail puller exactly like that, I inherited it from my father in law. The nail puller has a nasty habit of biting the skin between your thumb and first finger while you use it!

byhammerandhand

Hence the camel joke.

Quote from: BigJohn on October 20, 2011, 07:21:12 am
Keith:
     I own a nail puller exactly like that, I inherited it from my father in law. The nail puller has a nasty habit of biting the skin between your thumb and first finger while you use it!
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on October 19, 2011, 04:04:29 pm
Sofadoc you have got to be the king of unique tools.

I must admit. Being a Yabb God has left me unfufilled. And I realize now, that my lifelong goal of being "Global Moderator" is probably beyond my reach.
BUT with a regal moniker like "King of unique tools", I can die a happy man.
Just to further cement my legacy, here's another one (the C.S. Osborne Co. really should be giving me a kickback):

kodydog

Sofadoc I live in awe of you. You give to upholstery what BB King gives to the blues. You ARE the master.

Once again thanks for the video. And my old tired hands thank you for that last one.

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on October 20, 2011, 05:10:20 am
I had thought about this idea, in reverse, for pulling staples.

Gene: At last you're using your head for something besides a hatrack!
Using some epoxy, I made a working prototype with the caster socket puller, and an Osborne staple lifter. Of course, the epoxy won't withstand repeated hammering, but you get the idea. I'm thinking about cutting the yellow handle off of the staple lifter, and having the 2 tools welded together. If Osborne comes out with one of these, remember you saw it here first:

gene

Absolutely awesome. That's exactly what I was wondering about. Once you get a working model put together, I'd love to hear how it compares with a mallet.

Of course I would need to make a left handed one.

By the way, did you ever get your strip bit?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on October 20, 2011, 03:47:32 pm
By the way, did you ever get your strip bit?

Yeah, I got it. I use it occasionally. It has it's practical uses. But it's not always a time saver. There's a lot of "Prep time" involved in using it. And some fabrics tear too easily, and some frames are so hard that the staples just break.
But all things considered, I give it a "thumbs up".

206RB

Dude! Patent that stuff!