Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 08:27:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

They must be making a killing

Started by sofadoc, October 17, 2011, 07:48:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I got to see my Texas Rangers clinch a trip to the World Series Saturday night. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
As I left the stadium, they were already selling AL Champs t-shirts. I've read that they normally print them up in advance. If the team doesn't win, they just donate them to an impoverished country.
So if you want the shirt, it's $19.95. But if the team loses, they basically throw them away.
Remember the $9.99 portrait packages? When you showed up to pick them up, they offered you a bigger package already printed up. If you wanted it, it was $99.95. If you didn't want it, they tossed them in the wastebasket.
My wife used to work next to a bookstore. When a novel slipped off the best seller list, the store would send them back to the printer for credit.
But the printer didn't want to pay shipping charges on a crate of heavy books, so the store just tore the front covers off, sent only the cover back for credit,  and tossed the books in the dumpster out back.  My wife fished a ton of coverless books out of that dumpster.
Don't you wish that the upholstery business had such a ridiculous mark-up?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Peppy

Quote from: sofadoc on October 17, 2011, 07:48:26 pm

You should work on boats!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

Quote from: Peppy on October 18, 2011, 04:26:14 am
Quote from: sofadoc on October 17, 2011, 07:48:26 pm

You should work on boats!

I had to replace thebfuel sender on my boat it was like ?20 somthing but the oil sender in the  stoke oil tank. It's like over $100

baileyuph

QuoteYou should work on boats!

Which part of boat work is most profitable, Peppy or anyone?  Is it covers, enclosures, or upholstery, or ?

By the way Peppy, thanks for the picture of your pontoon seat protection cover, nice fit and should provide water runn off very well.

How many hours should one estimate in making a cover styled like that, the pontoon seat that is?  Can it be made with five yards, 60 inch goods?

Thanks again,

Doyle

jojo

Personally I think covers are a lot quicker and easier than upholstery. I seem to make the most money off of them. Always seem to be a surprise when you start taking apart a seat (rusty t-nuts, rotten wood)...or is it just me?

Mike8560

I agree with joho Doyle.  I've seen folks that don't care about  the seat upholstery ot they do it themselcs with a staple gun I d got a pontoon top to recover thwtthebownefs tried there own hand at stapling some vinyl on.  But a cover moct people it nothng else will make a cover to protect the seat theve got. I'd say over rye gears I've done tons of covers on boats that I would Reupholster myself.
Enclosure I did a fair share up north but in Florida  there not needed. Unless there anchored out nobody stays on the boat  like up north boats were a weekend cottage in Florida lock the boat at the marina and tour home in 30 min in most cases.  I'd say the best money in on mechanical actually everyone want the boat to run. New seats or a cover uhh they can live without that. 

Peppy

Quote from: DB on October 18, 2011, 06:43:23 am
QuoteYou should work on boats!

Which part of boat work is most profitable, Peppy or anyone?  Is it covers, enclosures, or upholstery, or ?

Doyle

As I see it-

most profitable

retail
enclosures under 20'
covers
enclosures over 20' and sailboats
interiors
headliner

least profitable

By the way Peppy, thanks for the picture of your pontoon seat protection cover, nice fit and should provide water runn off very well.

How many hours should one estimate in making a cover styled like that, the pontoon seat that is?  Can it be made with five yards, 60 inch goods?

Thanks again,

No problem! Maybe something like 4 hrs for the two. I can't say for yardage, 5 or 6 anyway. 

That must be close to a record for getting off topic!
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Darren Henry

QuoteAs I left the stadium, they were already selling AL Champs t-shirts. I've read that they normally print them up in advance. If the team doesn't win, they just donate them to an impoverished country.
So if you want the shirt, it's $19.95

Those same shirts probably cost < $5 imported from wherever. These things are huge business. As you hockey fans know Winnipeg has rejoined the NHL after a lengthy hiatus . Twice already they have intercepted counterfeit jerseys at the border and the demand for the "authentic" jets memorabilia is supporting a store dedicated soley to that here in Brandon (200 km west of Winnipeg) and all teh other sports stores have product as well.   
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!