Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 06, 2024, 06:33:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Needle choice for upholstery leather

Started by jeepdoc, October 05, 2011, 11:08:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepdoc

Need to know if you need to use a leather chisel tiped needle for doing leather automotive leather? if so my chandler uses 135x17 needles but those types of needles are not avail or at least i have not been able to find them. I did find them in 135x16 will those work?

SHHR

My Consew uses that needle system (135x17) and that's what I use for leather (135x16). Works just fine.
Kyle

skegfish

135 x 16 is the chisel point and 17 being the ball type point in 135. jeff in pa

NDAV8R

I sew 95% leather (mostly 3 to 4 oz) nowadays. I have a couple of Consew 206RBs and I use the regular 135x17 needles. I have sewn up to Eight layers of 3oz leather at one time with any brand name needle.
    I have use chisle points or "leather needles" only to be disappointed by the needle cutting the thread when I locked the stitch or going in reverse. I have 6 singer type model 29 machines and use a regular needle in them unless I have very heavy leather (shoe leather or heaver) to sew...I use a chisle point and tie off the stitch later.

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

October 06, 2011, 01:51:22 pm #4 Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:53:29 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: jeepdoc on October 05, 2011, 11:08:50 am
Need to know if you need to use a leather chisel tiped needle for doing leather automotive leather? if so my chandler uses 135x17 needles but those types of needles are not avail or at least i have not been able to find them. I did find them in 135x16 will those work?

jeepdoc,

I got the email from you and sent off some information via email.

I did want to share this brochure from Groz-Beckert with everyone so we can all be on the same page with 'cut point' needles for leather.

Narrow Wedge (NW) is by far the most common needle for us here at Keystone, but you can see the big effect the different needle points have in the brochure.

See the brochure here; http://www.keysew.com//Webpages/DemoImages/Groz-Beckert_Needles_for_the_processing_of_leather.pdf

scarab29

Wow that is a lot of info there Greg !! Wonder what they have to say about mr needles?
Great info BTW !!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

I dont really do leather but cant you use modified spear tips
to change the way the stitches lay ?

like you can get them to lay at an angle or straight etc ?

gene

Thank you for the info everyone. That is a rather comprehensive document, Gregg.

Straight stitch versus a slanted stitch: The PDF file says that this can be a result of the needle, thread, and leather.

Occasionally when sewing fabric, the stitch will be slanted. Since I am using the same needles and same thread, is it correct to assume that the slanted stitch is caused by the fabric? Will adjusting the thread tension result in a straight stitch?

Thanks,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!