Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 04:14:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

fabric

Started by gene, October 04, 2011, 04:38:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

How's It's Made did a segment on making fabric. The fabric they showed had the threads go through a glue solution, then dried, before they began weaving. The threads are so thin and easily broken that they need to have glue added to help keep them strong.

One thing I get calls on occasionally is new furniture fabric where the fabric is fraying.

Also, all these folks who get great deals on fabric, pay to for upholstery, and then what? How long before the glue starts to loose it's binding strength?

I thought of this today because I am working with fabric from a designer that is $150 per yard wholesale. It is absolutely a pleasure to work with this fabric!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

BigJohn

You call it glue but others might call it sizing, that's what stiffens some fabrics (not just upholstery fabric), in time the sizing wears or is laundered off and the fabric becomes softer.