Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:16:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Buttons and more buttons

Started by Judi, October 03, 2011, 06:14:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Judi

I finally got my mother's furniture redone.  I have only done a few other pieces before.  These turned out pretty good but I don't want to see many buttons for a long time.

Judi

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/Judiw83/buttons%20and%20more%20buttons/

kodydog

Way to go Judy. You tackled a fairly difficult piece and made it look decent.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I agree. Those are difficult pieces, even for a fairly experienced upholsterer. Nice job.
Weren't you the one looking for a button maker? Did you find one, or have them made?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Judi

Thanks for the encouraging comments.  I could have finished sooner but the heat in our shop was unbearable for several weeks this summer. 

I bought a button maker from this site and  I found a 55 gallon drum full of upholstery items on Craigslist for $100.  It had a whole box of button dies (all sizes) along with molds and backs.  I felt like I had hit the jackpot.

gene

October 03, 2011, 07:34:51 pm #4 Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:38:16 pm by gene
It's quite obvious from your pictures that you are NOT a professional upholsterer.

Look what's in the background. Stuff put on the shelves in an orderly and proficient manner. Clamps hanging in a purposeful pattern. The floor is even clean! LOL

Sincerely, that really is a great job on the upholstery. And I agree, not something that a beginner would normally tackle.

There's a tool called a tufting needle. You might want to become familiar with this in case a button comes loose (if you have any concerns about your buttons).

Thanks for the pics.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Over the years my tufting needle has made me a little money replacing buttons on furniture.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: Judi on October 03, 2011, 07:17:00 pm
I found a 55 gallon drum full of upholstery items on Craigslist for $100.  It had a whole box of button dies (all sizes) along with molds and backs.  I felt like I had hit the jackpot.

If you got several sizes of molds and dies for $100, then you definately hit the jackpopt.
Here's the gadget that Kody and Gene are talking about:
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Buttons/Button_Replacement_Needles/Syringe_Tufting_Needle/index.html
You wouldn't need it on the loose seat cushion, but it can be quite handy for replacing a missing button on a sofa back without removing any fabric panels.
The only drawback is: You must have a substantial backing in order for  the clip to hold.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Judi

I do have a tufting needle.  I used it on the seat cushions of the love seat and couch.  I put one button in the center of  the twine and put both ends of the twine though the clamp then shot the clamp through to the other side of the cushion.  Then I removed the clamp and put on the other button.  I know that is not really how it was intended to be used but it was easier for me than using a long needle.

And Gene, regarding the condition of the shop appearing to be in an orderly fashion.  I am sharing my husbands shop with 2 mowers, a tractor, a boat, weed eaters, chainsaws and all of his other tools.  If you could only see the whole shop I would be embarrassed.LOL

Grebo

:o You hero Judi.
I wouldn't even have started that one.  Well done.

Suzi