Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 03:30:58 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Nesting software

Started by Rich, September 27, 2011, 07:22:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Does anyone know of any software available for laying out fabric pieces? This is commonly called "nesting software" and is used mostly in manufacturing where it will be sent to an automated cutter. I had purchased a program from a gentleman a few years back which I still use occasionally, but he has since retired and no longer supports it. This program allowed a user to key in the width, length and amount of each piece, it automatically added in the seam allowance you wanted and figured out the best arrangement to use the least amount of fabric. In the end, you could print out a cutting chart to use as a visual guide for a layout on the bench. It saved time over a pencil and paper layout, but given the advancements in computer software today, I was hoping that something existed for the small shop that would be  easier to use and is still supported.
Anyone?
Thanks,
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

kodydog

Hi Rich. The program sounds interesting. I've always done it the other way you suggested with pencil and paper.
After I measure a sofa, on a complicated pattern, it usually takes me about 15 mins to draw a diagram.
The pattern usually changes a little as I cut.
Are you saying this program is faster and saves time.
I've worked next to people who just start cutting without a pattern. Seems like that would waist some fabric.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

I just lY my pattern pieces out on my table at the roll width and measure to get the shortest length. Thst if I want it right to the yard.
Sounds interesting though

Rich

Well I spoke with the guy earlier today and he said it never went over well enough for him to even recoup his time investment. I have one of the earlier versions and b/c of the way data has to be entered, it saves time only when doing a job of many pieces. Of course, if the pieces are all different, then entering each size takes more time. I thought that if there was a program that was using more modern computer techniques out there.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

I do not know of any software that is available.

I saw a documentary on Rolls Royce. They lay the leather hide on a cutting table, mark spots where there are blemishes, and then turn on the computer. The computer reads the marks and is able to figure out the best configuration to cut out all the pieces needed with the least amount of scrap. The computer then sends down the cutter and cuts out the leather parts. Absolutely amazing!

Rich, have you been able to use your old software to make templates? I do a lot of wing back chairs that are of a similar size. I can see getting out templates might save time.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Rich

Gene, the software only allows for squares and rectangles b/c it only has spaces to enter the width and length of any particular piece. If this is what you mean by "templates" then yes it does.
Rich

kodydog

5 years ago I took a 6 month construction course at the local tech school. Part of the course was learning to use computer automated drafting (auto cad). With my background in drafting I picked it up real fast. The school had the industrial version but a friend gave me the home version that works fine for my purposes.

This program makes all sorts of shapes and one could easily make the borders the width and length of your fabric. I tried making a cutting diagram on it once but found it took as much time as pencil and paper. I'm sure if I used it on a daily basis I would get much faster. If your serious, most Tech Schools offer this class.

I wouldn't buy this program without taking the class.

Don't know if this is what you had in mind.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

Quoteit took as much time as pencil and paper.

I've always been a big fan of "Tablet 1-0" , but I did upgrade to 1.1 ( ( I bought an eraser) and am totally impressed!! Every detail can be modified from one screen and it has never crashed on me or been deleted.  :-[ well---'cept for that time I left it too close to the floor  , and the the dog  ;)on my homework.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

I also used an older program called cutlist. It was designed for cabinetry layout of sheet goods bot also works well with plain fabrics. If you find a newer program let us know.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Stephen

September 28, 2011, 05:39:05 pm #9 Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:47:33 am by Stephen
I have been doing my layouts on my computer for probably about 10 years or more. As I was first try to do layouts on the computer I used MS Publisher 97 for perhaps a year or two, but it didn't have some of the important features I wanted. Even though, I kept using it because I didn't know of anything better. I tried out various other software, but couldn't find anything that would work well. It was difficult at first because I didn't know what I was doing, and I didn't know what components were needed to successfully do a layout. In recent years I have used both Open office draw  for a while (which has been improved and released as LibreOffice Draw) and then I've used TurboCAD 12. While neither of these programs are idea, I'd rather use either of them than doing a layout by hand.
For more information about how I do my cutting layouts on the computer, go here: Cutting Layouts

Best Wishes,
Stephen

gene

OK. I have never done a layout. I roll out the fabric to check for imperfections and to measure the amount of fabric that I requested, in yards.

I cut each piece as I need it: the deck front, the inside arms, the inside back, the outside arms, etc. Sometimes I make my cushion covers first. I match the pattern as I go if I need to match the pattern.

Has anyone not used a layout, and then started using a layout? What are the benefits?

Has anyone always done a layout, and then stopped using a layout? What are the benefits?

Thank you.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Stephen

September 28, 2011, 10:30:03 pm #11 Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:34:05 pm by Stephen
Quote from: gene on September 28, 2011, 06:23:55 pm
OK. I have never done a layout. I roll out the fabric to check for imperfections and to measure the amount of fabric that I requested, in yards.

This is a good practice. Keep it up.

I cut each piece as I need it: the deck front, the inside arms, the inside back, the outside arms, etc. Sometimes I make my cushion covers first. I match the pattern as I go if I need to match the pattern.

We all have our own set of skills and what works for us. If this is working for you, do you really need to change anything?

Has anyone not used a layout, and then started using a layout? What are the benefits?
Has anyone always done a layout, and then stopped using a layout? What are the benefits?

When I worked with my dad many years ago, I don't think that he did a layout. He just used the old cover for a pattern. He bought discontinued and seconds fabric and had a whole roll to work with.

As for me,  my dad's methods didn't work for me. I order a specific amount of fabric for a job. It really stressed me out when I was trying to cut the fabric before I started doing a layout. It takes more time to do a layout, but it makes the cutting job a lot easier and more peaceful for me. But this is me. Do what works for you.

Now, to answer your questions:

On this web page are listed some Pros and Cons of Measuring the Sofa & Making a Cutting Layout.

On this web page are some Pros and Cons of Using the Old Cover for a Pattern

Best Wishes,
Stephen