Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 08, 2024, 12:21:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

post bed sewing machine

Started by gene, September 23, 2011, 02:18:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

September 23, 2011, 02:18:09 pm Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:19:06 pm by gene
I saw a 'for sale' ad selling a post bed type sewing machine. It said you can sew purses and shoes, but the main selling point was that it was great for closing cushion covers.

I had never heard of someone using this with that. Does anyone do this with that? Or have you heard of it before?

I've fixed a few boxed cushions for folks where the factory stitching came loose and I've tried to get the welt cord and edge under my sewing machine needle without taking the insert out, to sew it. This is really difficult to do. I can see where a post bed type machine would work well.

I don't plan on buying the machine, I wouldn't use it that much to justify the purchase.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I've seen a lot of long church pew cushions that are closed up that way.
It would be nice to have one. But like you, I couldn't justify the cost.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Like most of us, there is no way I could justify purchasing a post machine to close cushions. 

But I can say that I would love to add a post machine to my "fleet" and depending on how my nascent business shapes up procurement of a post machine will go head to head with:
1.)  a buttonhole machine
2.)  cylinder bed coverstitch machine

I see tremendous advantage to having a post machine; esp. with regard to zipper replacements. 

SHHR

Since our town is very historic, there's a lot of little specialty shops now up and down main street. I've noticed a very old Singer sitting in a shop window while taking a weekend afternoon walk with my family not long ago. The shop was open so I went in to look at it just being nosy, when I realized this shop specialized in antique (mostly 19th century) machines. The owner was also very big into the whole Civil War re-enactment thing and used many of those machines to repair or make uniforms and tents. Anyway in the back of his shop there was an old post bed Singer mounted on a huge Oak stump.it had an old boot on it for display and he went on to show me how well it worked with the foot swiveling to sew in different directions. He priced it to me, although I forget the price now it seemed like a good bargain. I've had several bikers and even horse riders ask me before about repairing saddle bags. I thought about one day adding one in the shop just for stuff like that. He took me back in the alley behind the shop to show me two more waiting restoration and some old machine he tried to give away that even though looked like a sewing machine, it supposedly cut and formed leather for shoes.
Kyle

Darren Henry

I'd be cautious Gene that it is in fact a walking foot machine. In the shoe industry the norm is a rolling foot so the operator can see the needle.

Kyle, That machine on the stump with the foot that turns is probably a patcher. I'll try to find a pic of mine. If it is an old patcher it won't take on anything heavier than your machine will. What you (and I) need is a harness machine.

Quotehe tried to give away that even though looked like a sewing machine, it supposedly cut and formed leather for shoes.

I'd like to see a picture of that. I've used click cutters and dies to cut and I've seen lasting machines (they stretch the uppers around the form or last) in factories, but I've never seen one machine that did both.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!