Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:37:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

When a potential customer wants photos..

Started by Lmc530, September 20, 2011, 07:06:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lmc530

Hi all...

As many of you know.. I'm newly in business and starting to get some calls for estimates..  But I'm having people request photos of the work we've done..   

I had worked with another upholsterer who has since left the state and moved back to florida.. so I don't have photos of my own personal work...

How have or would you all handle this?  Thanks!!! 

Lauren~

Rich

Two possibilities;
1-make up some simple sample pieces so they can see firsthand what your workmanship looks like,
2-Tell them the truth, that you have just gone out on your own, but that they will benefit from a lower price.
Then, take pictures of their job to show future customers when they ask.
P.S. Then make sure to gradually bring your prices up to where they belong!
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

kodydog

September 20, 2011, 03:01:26 pm #2 Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:15:09 pm by kodydog
I agree with Rich.
You don't have any pieces of your personal collection?
If you can beg, borrow, or steal a wing chair and put a stripe on it, matching it all around, do a really good job on the cushion, that will make some impressive pictures.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I have begun taking a ton of pictures.  Some are OK, some totally suck, some are great.  The point is, you have to document your work.  For too long I would ask a customer to send me a picture of the work in situ, but they never did... opportunity lost!

So now, no matter how poor my photography skills I take pictures of my work.  I have lots of "action shots" and finished shots.  And I try to keep a snippet of the fabric on hand, too, so a customer can actually feel the fabric used in the photographs. 

Pictures are important.  Really important!

tapissier

-1- cut pics from a magazine.
if you think you can deliver what you just cut from the magazine...
scan the pics and put them in you portfolio.
-2- start taking pics right away of your own work, from start to finish, that's just about 10 shots, start showing that. the befores, durings and afters are always appreciated from the customers.

the hardship:
you have a deadline and you burned out, you don't give  a @#$% about taking pics... conquer your burned out state, take picture ALL the time of ALL your work... at the end of the day you'll be glad  you did!

sofadoc

I certainly don't dispute the importance of having pics of your work. But it hasn't been the case at my shop. VERY rarely does a customer ask to see pictures of my work. Maybe because I have a well established business in a small town.
Before the days of digital photography, I considered myself a bit of a camera expert. I don't anymore. Like tapissier points out, it's easy to get caught up in the rush of getting a job done and delivered without taking the time to get a GOOD photo of it. And just like humans, many pieces of furniture simply AREN'T photogenic. And I don't see any reason to take pics of the "same ole, same ole" micro-fiber or chenille sofa that's "as common as the day is long".
But your points are well taken. I am going to make an attempt to shore up my photo-taking abilities.
I agree with tapissier. If your work looks as good as a magazine pic, I wouldn't have any qualms about using one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

tapissier

As a rule of thumb we should all take pictures of our work.
here's why:
just for ourselves, as a referential in order to keep the information in a hard copy form.

I personally keep a pictorial folder on every piece of furniture and fabric that comes thru the shop.
I have a wealth of pictures that serves me as a technical referential in order to assess and solve problems.

I label my folders by style, whether contemporary or period style.
Ultimately these documents help everyone in the shop to visualize the correct shapes and finish look.

scottymc

September 22, 2011, 05:36:48 pm #7 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:37:35 pm by scottymc
Quote from: tapissier on September 21, 2011, 03:38:55 pm
-1- cut pics from a magazine.
if you think you can deliver what you just cut from the magazine...
scan the pics and put them in you portfolio.

This is the dodgiest advice that I have ever seen on this forum, under no circumstances do this. Do not start your business in upholstery by misrepresenting your self, do not assume customers are dumb. If you have not got any of your work sitting around your lounge room then you probably aren't ready to go into your own business. I don't personally know an upholsterer whether in there own business or work for someone that has furniture cover by someone else.   :o

sofadoc

September 22, 2011, 06:39:32 pm #8 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:43:09 pm by sofadoc
I stated in my post above that it is rare for a customer to ask to see pics of my work. After thinking about it, I'm ready to amend that statement.
I have NEVER had a customer ask to see pics of my work. A few have asked to come in and see some of my finished pieces, but even that is very rare.
I guess it's a lot more common in more highly competitive areas.
I see no reason to take pics of everyday "cookie cutter" furniture.
When I HAVE done some nice, or unusual  pieces, I've asked the customers if I could take a picture of it in their home, since the setting is much nicer. I've sensed a little reluctance. I think some consider it an invasion of their privacy to have their living room photographed for public viewing. These are probably the same people that expose WAY too much info on Facebook.

tapissier

ok, I was being sarcastic, this is all so pathetic. you guys take yourselves way too seriously.
Of course don't misrepresent urself by cutting pictures form magazine, although I had interviewed people that did just that...
So here's a real solution, get yourself a bare frame of an Art Deco Club Chair and build it up from scratch using at least 3 or 4 different techniques.
Take pictures of each steps,  I guarantee you it will be the best start to build a portfolio.

How could anyone sells his labor without showing what the process is all about?

mike802

QuoteThis is the dodgiest advice that I have ever seen on this forum, under no circumstances do this. Do not start your business in upholstery by misrepresenting your self, do not assume customers are dumb. If you have not got any of your work sitting around your lounge room then you probably aren't ready to go into your own business. I don't personally know an upholsterer whether in there own business or work for someone that has furniture cover by someone else.

To do so, is to miss represent yourself, if you don't have any pictures of your work do something of your own and take pictures of it.  My Grandfather was fond of saying "some times self respect comes at a high cost"  In this case it's only the cost of your reupholstering a chair, cheap if you ask me.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

scottymc

Quote from: tapissier on September 23, 2011, 04:04:29 am
ok, I was being sarcastic, this is all so pathetic. you guys take yourselves way too seriously.
Of course don't misrepresent urself by cutting pictures form magazine, although I had interviewed people that did just that...
So here's a real solution, get yourself a bare frame of an Art Deco Club Chair and build it up from scratch using at least 3 or 4 different techniques.
Take pictures of each steps,  I guarantee you it will be the best start to build a portfolio.

Well this guy asked a question, he might have been a bit wet behind the ears and taken your suggestion seriously.

You tried loading the tacks into the staple gun didn't you ;D Show some photos when your done. 

sofadoc

September 23, 2011, 05:58:28 am #12 Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:25:38 pm by sofadoc

I do it all day long, every day of the week.
In my town, when a customer walks into my shop, it's likely that MY grandparents did work for THEIR grandparents.
The only time that I'm asked to show a sample of my work, is when a distrustful northerner moves into town.
Dallas is 50 miles away. I get a ton of work out of Dallas from people who've only heard of me through "word of mouth".
But like I said before, you guys have convinced me to get up a portfolio. If for no other reason than my own personal reference.

Saddleman

Make the customer a small sample out of the fabric they are interested in.  A lot of people have a terrible time visualizing what something may look like.  Using photos from a publication of others work to show a customer a style...etc and telling them you could it make it look like that piece in the photo letting them know it it not your work.  Build the relationship with the customer.....invest in them and they will invest in you.

alge

Quote from: sofadoc on September 23, 2011, 05:58:28 am

I do it all day long, every day of the week.
In my town, when a customer walks into my shop, it's likely that MY grandparents did work for THEIR grandparents.
The only time that I'm asked to show a sample of my work, is when a distrustful northerner moves into town.
Dallas is 50 miles away. I get a ton of work out of Dallas from people who've only heard of me through "word of mouth".
But like I said before, you guy have convinced me to get up a portfolio. If for no other reason than my own personal reference.

Honestly Doc its worth having a record for those rare ones, i recently landed a $15,000 sofa commission from a client who didn't come to me via word of mouth. it's the most expensive sofa i've made off my own name and it took some serious evidence to swing the client my way.

alex