Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:34:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

206 rb-5 slow down help

Started by Gmguy3car, September 18, 2011, 01:35:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmguy3car

Hey all, back for some help, have had a 206 rb-5 for a few years now, a little past the novice stage but it requires 'bumping' it to get going and go slower, takes off like a jack rabbit around corners, I feel i could be more productive and make less mistakes if it was easier to control, heard about servo motors etc, pulleys, It's so finicky on control, I'd love to have a smoother pedal/opertation, thanks in advance, Jon

sofadoc

A servo is certainly a good idea. But if you are experienced, you should be able to sew slowly with a clutch motor (provided it's working/adjusted properly). Small pulley? 1725 RPM motor?
Try loosening the belt until it almost slips. See how THAT feels.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BigJohn

Contact Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing Machine he advertises on this board, he has a servo motor with a gear reduction unit built right in and its reasonable. Bobs number is: 866-362-7397   and his website is:  http://www.tolindsewmach.com/

Bob is a real straight shooter that will be able to help you with most any machine problem, and very reasonable at that!

Big John

Mojo

I agree with John. I would spend the extra money and get a servo motor. I just ordered a new servo from Bob for my backup machine as I hated that clutch motor and jack rabbit start. I could not get used to it.

There are other ways to slow down clutch motors but your still going to end up with a clutch motor that is less efficient energy wise. Any novice stitcher would appreciate the upgrade to a servo.

A servo is the best $ 135 you could spend.

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteI feel i could be more productive and make less mistakes if it was easier to control,

I'm not taking anything away from servos, but I always have to bring up my old point about body posture and foot placement when I read posts like this. I won't bore you with the details again (unless asked) it's all over the archives.

I had to take myself back to school recently to learn how to sew left footed.  ;D 'Ga head---try it! No fingers were lost or punctured, but my insurance category went up for a while.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

BigJohn

September 20, 2011, 01:14:59 pm #5 Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:17:49 pm by BigJohn
Was Bob Able to help?

fragged8

this has come up quite a few times,

I know we lost some older posts but try searching back through the
old threads

how about putting a tennis ball under
the pedal ?

Rich

Gmguy3car

Thanks for everyone chiming in, let me try to describe, it feels like you push the pedal down 1-2 inches and it just takes off, that's why I'm sick of 'bumping' it all the time, I've felt older clutch motor machines that were much smoother and pedal operation was so much smoother/easier to control, it's the consew 'tuffy' motor that came with it, If I have to get a servo that's fine but I'm curious how to adjust or why other clutch motors seem to be smoother operating.

JuneC

Alright, old-timers... What was that about greasing the clutch with petroleum jelly or something to make it slip?  I recall some thread a few years ago now about how slipping was what you wanted.  It slips and eventually catches, but not all-of-a-sudden like GMguy describes.  I never had this issue since my clutch motors are all old and broken-in. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

Two adjustments come to mind after you have read my old post about body placement etc...:

1) Where the linkage rod (forgive the nomenclature) connects to the treadle dictates the amount of force and the distance of travel to engage the clutch. Try moving out to the outside hole.

2) By adjusting the length  of the two rods where they meet , you adjust the treadle to a position that is comfortable for your ankle.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!