Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2024, 10:42:28 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Is upholstery a multi discipline craft?

Started by TheHogRing, September 16, 2011, 06:13:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

September 16, 2011, 06:13:15 am Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:10:46 pm by TheHogRing
Bentley's auto interiors guru describes the craft like this:

"Personally I think a car's interior is the most complicated product you can design. If you think of it in terms of a house or something like that, you've got a TV, stereo, seating, table, you've got all those elements in a car but they all have to tie in, it's not like you can just get things to kind of work, they absolutely have to slot together. Timing and making everything work for a car is just so complicated.

"It's multi discipline, you've got elements of architecture, illustration, graphic design, product design, furniture design, all of those things, and for me that's the interesting part about it. It doesn't just stop at one discipline, it crosses many. It's great, but it can be a burden sometimes, with one foot in design and one in engineering. But I think creative people love a challenge and that's why we do it."

Do you agree or not, and what other disciplines you believe are part of the trade: http://tinyurl.com/6k8l47p

scottymc

TheHogRing

September 16, 2011, 05:09:51 pm #2 Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:11:13 pm by TheHogRing
Not at all. I'm genuinely interested in starting a discussion about this.

MinUph

Ive been thinking the same thing about these posts. Pretty good way to advertise his site wouldn't ya think? Genuine discussion?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Quote from: scottymc on September 16, 2011, 12:54:50 pm
Is this polite subtle spam? ;D

I enjoy HogRings posts. Subtle spam? Maybe. But it is upholstery related and he has started some interesting topics on the forum. I'm not trying to start something but its your choice to read them. Or not.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scottymc

I realize that, but I thought it was just getting to be a bit of a bombardment, and hey it works. I've clicked onto his site , but then straight off

kodydog

September 16, 2011, 06:27:45 pm #6 Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:38:09 pm by kodydog
At least he's not trying to sell us pills that enlarge certain parts of our body.

Speaking of spam, has anyone noticed it's all but disappeared on the forum.

scottymc

Well I wouldn't mind so much if he could sell me a pill that really worked.

kodydog

TheHogRing

Intention is not to spam - will leave if that's what's requested by the site moderator. Just thought that as an 'upholstery forum' that this would be the right place to share some interesting upholstery-related posts with. Doesn't seem outlandish to me...

Thanks for the support Kodydog. It's very much appreciated.

sofadoc

I looked at it more that he was just trying to get input from a source outside of his own board.
I clicked over to it, saw that it was too auto intensive for my tastes, and moved on. I'll probably still click over there every now and again.
To me, there have been a few other posters recently that were a lot more "spammy" (think "leather").

So...... where can I get that pill? :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on September 17, 2011, 05:35:40 am
So...... where can I get that pill? :D

If you really want to know I'll post the link. I get them daily in my spam folder. I don't know why they think "I" would be the perfect candidate for this product.

gene

September 17, 2011, 06:59:29 am #12 Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:30:44 am by gene
I had originally been thinking along the same lines as Scotty and Paul. However, I have noticed that hogrings' topics have generated some interesting discussions.

I too figure that the moderator, like God, is watching over us.

And, as with the leather folks, if it is more of a "sales job" than a "sharing", folks will stop clicking on the posts.

See, this is a good example of being multi disciplined: I can complain and say "thank you" at the same time.

I would think one discipline needed would be patience and long suffering. I know, from my previous life, that auto designers can design awesome ideas that simply cannot be transferred into real life. I'm sure these interior guys occasionally get specs that they just cannot make happen.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on September 17, 2011, 06:09:50 am
I don't know why they think "I" would be the perfect candidate for this product.

My step-dad used to sign up for free cigarettes through the mail. He used my name and address as well to get even MORE free cigarettes.
He's been dead for 15 years. I still get a ton of junk mail and spam from cigarette companies. You would think that they would assume  I was dead by now.

Hey "Hog Ring", are you SURE that you want our opinions? See how fast we steer off course? ;D What would WE know about discipline? We can't even stay on topic. :D

Seriously though, I've never minded one board promoting itself on another board. Many of us post on multiple boards. Variety is the spice of life. It's not like he's pelting us with leather "specials" (I use the term "special" loosely).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

TheHogRing

Thanks Gene and Sofadoc. I appreciate your welcoming. Also, just to point out to scottymc and minuph, I also contribute to other discussion threads on this site that I didn't start. A spammer wouldn't do that.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I love all the helpful, insightful and often times funny comments you all leave on this great site. I'm glad to be part of it!