Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 04:14:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Angle Binder

Started by jsquail, September 14, 2011, 11:20:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

I read a thread on here about angle binders not too long ago so I ordered on from Gregg Monday. I have to say its the best binder I have used to date. Goes around corners and turns with ease.

And thanks to Gregg too! Once received, I had it on the machine minutes, adjusted, and binding like a champ!

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Jsquail,

That's really awsome, glad it worked out well.  I think the binder along with the custom install is the way to do it.  It gives us the best chance to work out of the box.  What do you think of the large thumb screw?  Do you use it?  It's not cheap, so I don't want to send parts nobody is going to use.

Again, I come here for feedback, and always want to hear both good and bad so i can be on target with what people want and what works.

jsquail

I used the thumb screw instead of the dark screw. It made more sense to me if/when  I needed to remove it and get it out of the way.

I must say it really is the hot ticket for binding. I did a lot of binding with that susei swing arm binder. Curves and corners on the swing arm are a PITA compared to the angle binder.  I was impressed that I didnt need to slow my stitch for curves. Definitely a time saver. Wish i would have bought one sooner.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

baileyuph

If not too much trouble, could you show the binder set up on your machine and even a picture or two of what the results are on inside curves.  Examples, of the binder output, is the idea.

Thanks in advance,

Doyle

jsquail

can do. I will sit down later today and run a few test samples through the binder for you and take pictures.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: jsquail on September 14, 2011, 04:22:22 pm
I used the thumb screw instead of the dark screw. It made more sense to me if/when  I needed to remove it and get it out of the way.

OK, good to know.  The black screw is good if you want to swing the binder out of the way, with the low profile.  Thumb screw is good if you want to remove or install quickly.  That was the idea, anyway.  Thanks for the feedback.

DB, I'm too much of a ham not to show off my pics, you can see them on this item's product page;
http://store.keysew.com/sewing-parts-and-accessories/460-custom-angle-binder

That said, I'm offering an angle binder for turns and curves...but I didn't show any images of turns or curves, EXACTLY what people want to see.  Hmmmm, maybe  if jsquail's images look good, and with his consent of course, they will show up on Keystone's website!

JuneC

Nice looking binder!  I like how it keeps the bulk of the device well away from the needle giving room for the operator to handle the fabric and see what's going on.  Does it handle double-fold Sunbrella binding?  And are there a set of feet and/or feed dogs that are required to go with it? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jsquail

Quote from: JuneC on September 15, 2011, 07:21:25 am
  Does it handle double-fold Sunbrella binding? 

Yes, with no issues.

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: JuneC on September 15, 2011, 07:21:25 am
Nice looking binder!  I like how it keeps the bulk of the device well away from the needle giving room for the operator to handle the fabric and see what's going on.  Does it handle double-fold Sunbrella binding?  And are there a set of feet and/or feed dogs that are required to go with it? 

June

JunceC,

This was part of the up front conversation jsquail and I had up front before his order.  I sell this two ways, as per the website, allow me to quote...ummmm myslef, LOL;

460B Custom angle binder, 1/4" mouth opening, for tape and braid, made in the USA, custom install machine specific so binder head is close as possible to STOCK presser feet and feeder without hitting

***Kindly advise machine model at Checkout "Comments / Delivery Instructions"***

***Custom binder with parts (feet, feeder, needle plate) for custom install, specific to your model, contact for price quote, kindly advise model machine to be installed***

Now, no two people work the same, and not all shops are the same and have the same equipment, but in jsquail's binder for his work works well with stock feet. 

For others, who have a machine they can dedicate to binding, it may be best to use a machine with custom feet, feeder, and needle plate.

jsquail

Links below. Its Blue sunbrella. The white is the acrylic 2 edge turned from Rochford. Its the same as sunbrella 1" double edge turned and it may be sunbrella, Rochford just doesn't call it that. The curve has a Diameter of 6.5 inches. The first curve i did on it was a 1.5 inch Diameter and the sunbrella binding doesn't want to lay very flat, but that is due to how tight that curve is. The binding will only stretch so much.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n549/G_Canvas/6c401f72.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n549/G_Canvas/7e4bb397.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n549/G_Canvas/4e78a321.jpg
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

jsquail

Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

scarab29

everytime this topic comes up I tell you this binder is the ticket !! :P
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

bobbin

I know (from past experience) the right angle binder is the solution to curves but I'll be damned if I can get mine to work properly!  I have to box it up and send it back to you, Gregg.  I can't get mine to work worth a tinker's damn and lord know's  I've tried, lol.  (e-mail to follow and I'll gather up some fabric samples for your shop's use). 

It looks to me as though the stitching is very close to centre of the binding in jsquail's shots.  I immediately wondered if the stitching allowed the raw edge of the glued and folded allowance of the binding to be visible outside the stitching.  I can't tell from the pictures.  (a "no-no"). 

I am an advocate of the thumb screw installation, too.  I can go for days/weeks without using a binder (as is evidenced by how long I've been farting around trying to get mine to work, lol) and like the quick installation and swingaway feature when working on a project that requires binding.