Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 09:22:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

tacks vs. staples

Started by tapissier, September 10, 2011, 02:06:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tapissier

I'm still trying to figure out how to use staples instead of tacks.

sofadoc

Good to see you posting here again. I hope you will stick around.
There's been some discussion on the Carrscorner board about how designers are going for the muslin/exposed tacks look. No finish trim. And they don't even mind raw edges. In fact, it's preferred.
Are you referring to antiques? Or furniture in general?
Some of the suppliers that call on my shop don't even carry tacks anymore.
One of them had never heard of curve needle thread.
I haven't spit tacks since I was a teenager. I never got very fast at it. My Grandfather could seemingly spit tacks as fast as I could shoot staples.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottymc

Quote from: tapissier on September 10, 2011, 02:06:05 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how to use staples instead of tacks.

First of all ,get a staple gun and load them in to it :)

MinUph

tapissier,
  Coming from the tack spitting world, maybe I can help. What exactly are you having trouble with? I still use tacks for some things but generally ave been stapling for many years also. In my 20s and 30s I could spit them almost as fast as a stapler and with more accuracy  :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Yes! it's great to see you again!!

I'm no upholsterer but I am able to recognize a bright, skilled mind when one of their posts flashes across my screen. 

Lol, about spitting tacks faster than a stapler... :)

gene

The problem I have with spitting staples is that it hurts my tongue and teeth pulling the individual staples off the ream of staples. Also, I have never been able to find sterilized staples, so I just keep drinking a lot of Chivas Regal (old style, of course), while I'm spitting staples.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Gene: I think that you're a little confused again.
The REAL problem is trying to cram #14 tacks into a BEA stapler.
That's why I LOVE the instructional video by Moe, Larry, and Curly where they funnel tacks into a shotgun.
The video also teaches us that if you accidentally shoot the tacks into someone's butt, you should pry them out, and not just cut the heads off with a pair of dikes.
They DON"T teach this stuff in schools folks!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

alge

Hello Tapissier,

I'm not certain i fully understand your problem. Are you asking how to temporary tack with a staple gun? If your asking how to get the same sort of flexibility out of a staple as a tack when putting temporary's in its pretty simple either dont press down with the nozzle so your holding the gun a few millimetres back off the wood (this can be tricky if your trying to pull/clamp the fabric with the gun). I prefer to press the gun against the fabric, cock the nozzle to either the left or right side (about 30*- 45*) so that only one prong of the staple goes in fully and the other goes in half way, this makes it easy to take out if you need or a simple tap with a hammer knocks it in.

To be honest i temporary tack with tacks and then fill in the gaps with staples so my work often ends up having a mix of both tacks and staples. I dont think i will ever give up using tacks apart from the wood splitting thing they are so much more versatile even if they are slower to put in.

Alex

tapissier

i think I'm gonna get a staple gun and load staples in it...and see what happen...can I et the staples at "staples"?

tapissier

I think some of yous are getting it.
But I'm still confused and my supplier did not advise me to load tacks into my gun.
Beside...My mind is wandering in the deep seated spring edge and the ruby twine keeps knotting itself at will all  around these coils...it's unbearable, I think about shooting some #14 to hold up this mess.
Thank God I have a clipper gun!