Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 01:23:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Seam Guides. Do You Use Them ?

Started by Mojo, September 09, 2011, 04:18:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

September 09, 2011, 04:18:37 am Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:28:39 am by Mojo
I started using seam guides when I first started sewing and now use them a great deal. I have a guide that I interchange on my swing away binder when sewing and have also seen magnetic guides as well.

It got me thinking, do any of you use seam guides ? I have found they speed up my production time, give me  accurate and straight stitch lines on long runs and also help me with seam/stitch row spacing.

Do any of you use one ?

Here is a photo of the one I use:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/sewing-machine-ADJUSTABLE-SWING-GUIDE-GAUGE-120428-/250506246079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5355f7bf#ht_2528wt_952

Chris

Mike8560

September 09, 2011, 04:52:04 am #1 Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:51:29 pm by Mike8560
NOt me I just line The  material up with the foot. And use  my hand as a guide  when binding i just jam it In There

baileyuph

Seam guides are of benefit when doing repetative seams that are desired to be the same accuracy.  It supports the accuracy at a faster sewing rate, like you implied.

One of a kind and not that much sewing, I will eye ball it most of the time.  Once there was a job of over a hundred special covers and the seam guide was used throughout.

Doyle

Darren Henry

On the 111W155 singer and the 225/226 consew there is a small hole in the floor plate exactly 1/2" to the right of the needle.That is my seam guide. I find if I look at the needle I get mesmerized like watching the dotted line while driving.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Interesting concept. I never even knew they existed.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

scottymc

Had a friend that made leather belts, he had a small metal plate welded to the plate next to the foot, worked good for him cause that's all he made. I've just scratched line into the bed of the machine 10mm & 15mm. 

kodydog

Quote from: Darren Henry on September 09, 2011, 08:04:59 am
On the 111W155 singer and the 225/226 consew there is a small hole in the floor plate exactly 1/2" to the right of the needle.That is my seam guide. I find if I look at the needle I get mesmerized like watching the dotted line while driving.

I do like Derren with the hole in the plate (just make sure that plate stay's closed while sewing). I can see where this gadget would be useful in sewing awnings.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

This has got me thinking. Has anyone used the magnetic type? Would they hold in place? Would they effect anything under the plate? I would like to try one of these mainly for top stitching but don't want another screw on accessory that I would have to remove when not needed.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

No, I don't.  Unless, of course, I'm doing precise topstitching.  But as Doyle sagely pointed out, using them in a repetitive operation where accuracy is paramount to success farther down the line is a very good idea.  Esp. for the novice. 

The ones I'm familiar with screw into the machine bed.  I've never see the magnetic ones, but what a great idea!  Fast to put into place and there's not set screw to lose!

Mojo

I just ordered two large magnetic ones and will give them a try. This way I wont have to screw around removing my binder, installing the guide and then vice versa.

My latest run of awnings taught me alot in regards to saving time. With the guides I was able to sew faster and still get straight lines. before that I was using the foot or needle plate as a guide and I had to stitch slower.

I will let you know how the magnetic guides worked out. I think I paid $ 4.99 for the large ones.

Chris

Mike8560

VeI've got one somewere that wi screw o to the top ate over the Bobbin.  If I used it I'd just have a dedicated plate like my binder. When not needed just it off.   

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

Paul"

I will drop one off at your place sometime and let you use it to see what you think.

Chris

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website