Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 02:24:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

down cushions

Started by StillwaterStudio, September 08, 2011, 11:25:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

StillwaterStudio

Might anyone share a resource for the purchase of new down sofa/chair cushion inserts? I'm looking for a company that makes them to measure---and that includes baffling. Are these companies "to the trade" ----or shall I just have my customer go 'find' her own insert then bring it to me to cover?

Along an additional line, is it worth it to buy new feathers to add to a customers existing cushion? My instinct tells me that if the existing feathers are broken down that it's just better to start with a new cushion.

Finally---what is the best mix of feather and down for a seat?

thanks for any help on this---

otlass

Lodi Down & Feather, I don`t have an adress in front of me, but they do have a Website

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

September 20, 2011, 10:58:40 am #3 Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:00:36 am by gene
This is who I use. I do not know if they only sell wholesale or not. I do know that I have been very pleased with everything they have done for me.

Frank's Cushions Inc
6302 59th Avenue
Maspeth, NY 11378 map
   www.frankscushions.com
   (718) 848-1216

I would never add new feathers to old feathers, or at least I can say that I never have.

Down gives loft, feathers give filler. The more down the more loft and the longer the loft will last. 90/10, then 80/20 seem to be most popular. I have done a few 50/50. I have never done 100% down. (The first number is the percentage of feathers, the second is the percentage of down.) Down is more expensive than feathers. All ducks seem to live in China.

The best mix for a seat cushion is a foam insert with a down/feather wrap. I love these inserts! They look like a down insert and feel a bit like one, but they last a lot longer and keep their loft a whole lot longer.

How do you get down off an elephant? You don't. You get down off a duck. (It's Tuesday.)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

A spring unit, relatively think layer of foam all encased in a down casing has worked for me. 

This gives the feel, the durability, well you guys know what I mean.  Many years of wear. 

Doyle

mike802

September 21, 2011, 07:06:44 am #5 Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:08:09 am by mike802
Albany Foam and Supply 1-800-235-0888  is a good source for wholesale down and feather cushions made to your specifications.  I always keep a supply of down and feathers on hand to add some extra to old cushions.  The down and feathers do not break down so much as they just work their way out from the ticking over the years.  I used to make my own, still could they are not that difficult, but it just made a mess of the shop.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com